Chapter 1

*Catherine's P.O.V*

I fluttered my eyes open, as the morning sun coming through my windows almost blinded me. I slowly sat up from my previous horizontal position and scratched my head.

Bringing my warm feet to the wooden floor, I stood up and walked towards the bathroom. I took a hot shower and wrapped my body with a clean white towel. Heading back to my room and straight to my closet, I thought about the laundry I had to do after school. I literally had like three tops, a skirt and two jeans that were still clean. Thankfully.

Today was the first day of my senior year and to say I was excited would be, well, a lie.

I quickly made up my mind and decided to wear the black skater skirt, a red tank top and my leather high heel lace up boots. I felt so good about the fact that I didn't have to wear any awfully designed uniform. We did have to follow a dress code, but that was it. I guess the long talk about how we are able to express our personality through clothes got into my school's principal.

I finished my look by putting on a little make up and went downstairs to prepare some breakfast.

I made a few pancakes for my little brothers and checked my schedule for the day. As I said before, it was the first day of school, so I had gotten a day off from the ice cream parlor, where I worked part time. However, I still had to babysit my brothers and a four-year-old girl.

The previous night, a middle-aged woman had called me and begged me to babysit her daughter. She told me she is the boss of another mum whose boy I also babysit sometimes, so I accepted.

She did offer a pretty big amount of money for it, so...

I wiped the sweat that had formed on my forehead due to the heat of the hotplate, and placed the pancakes on the dinning table. I ate my portion as if I was put in fast forward and run upstairs, almost tripping over a step.

"Good morning, little monsters!" I shouted to my nine-year-old twin brothers.

"Gosh, Cat, stop!" Max said, holding his blue pillow over his head like people do in cartoons. Does it really block the noise?

"Yes! We just woke up, man!" Jake agreed almost crying out of devastation.

"Okay, okay. Just wake up and get dressed. We have school today. You don't want to be late," I said and started walking out their messy room. "Oh," I remembered. "I made you pancakes for breakfast."

As soon as the words left my mouth they both stood up and started running towards the kitchen without looking back.

I shook my head and chuckled.

They are suckers for food.

After about twenty minutes, I drove them to their school and then made my way to the Blue Lake High.

The parking lot was already crowded. Getting out of my car, I spotted a couple of my classmates. Waving at them and mouthing 'morning', I walked to my locker and waited for a specific person-

"Hi, Cat!"

There he is.

My bestest best friend, Hayden Walters. The captain of the school's basketball team. The guy who is admired by the entire population of Blue Lake High. He is about six feet tall, with blonde hair, blue eyes and, well, do you need more?

He has been my best friend since birth. We were born on the same day, in the same hospital. Twenty-fourth of February. Our mothers were put into the same room and that's how they became friends. Since then, he has never left my side.

"Hi, Hayden," I said hugging him.

"What are you doing after school?" He asked quickly. We usually didn't have that much time to catch up in the morning. The bell was too excited to 'talk', too.

"Um," I thought unlocking my locker and dumping my bag inside. "I have to study and babysit a little girl. Can you by any chance," I scratched the back of my head, "I mean, please, pick up my brothers from school?" I begged him.

"Sure I can," he shrugged. "Do you want me to come and help you babysit?" he offered.

"Yeah, that would be awesome. I have to ask the girl's mum if she's okay with it, of course, but other than that I would be glad to have you," I smiled.

Hayden was such a sweetheart and he was always the one to help me even if I needed it or not. It melted my heart and sometimes I even felt bad for bothering him, but he would make me stop 'talking shit'. His words, not mine.

"Great," he nodded, "Just be sure to text me when you find out about the mum issue," the bell rang making us both jump. "See you at lunch, Cat," he waved at me and headed to his class.

"See you," I waved right back even though he couldn't see me anymore.

° ° °

When lunchtime finally made its way into my miserable schedule, I followed my friends, Lucy and Bella into the cafeteria. We took a seat on our usual table with the guys, Cody and Nick.

"So, guys! Who's up for a movie tonight? My place," Lucy suggested while taking an apple from her tray and bitting on it.

"Uh, sorry Lucy," Hayden was the first to answer. "Cat is babysitting tonight and I'm most probably helping her," he pat her shoulder with an apologetic look.

Apparently, Mrs. Ellie didn't have a problem with Hayden helping me. Thank the goodness, because I do not know what I would do alone with three children over my head.

"I can't come either," Nick said raising his hand.

The raising of the hand. Well, that was a habit Nick had acquired in elementary school. Every day he would start talking in class without raising his hand, so our teacher would punish him. After a heck of a lot punishments, he got tired and started raising his hand in order to speak when around many people.

All in all, you could say it's our teacher's fault.

"My cousin broke his leg and I have to visit and keep an eye on him," Nick continued, snapping me out of my thoughts.

Apart from us, Cody couldn't go either, having to work at a pizza place, thus Lucy and Bella decided to have a girls' night.

To be honest, I was so darn jealous. Not because they were having a girls' night without me. Just because they had free time to do so. I sighed, thinking about how easier my life would be if my parents were here.

Since the day died in this fatal car accident, I have been in charge of my brothers and have to make sure they enjoy everything a child in their age should. And that by working as much as possible to bring money into the house.

"Cat!" someone nudged me bringing me out of my daydream.

More like a day-mare, I thought to myself.

"Um, what?" I asked confused.

Looking around, I noticed that the cafeteria was nearly empty and an impatient Hayden was staring at me confused.

"The bell rang five minutes ago," he informed me. "Coming?"

I simply nodded and stood up. I followed him to our class, which I paid no attention to, just like every other one that followed.

° ° °