Chapter 2

Thank you Smelly_Elly_ for this amazing cover! Love you! ❤

*Catherine's P.O.V.*

After school I took the short road, not forgetting to buy myself a little something to eat. Getting in the house, the familiar scent of cinnamon danced inside my nostrils. I loved being at home. It reminds me of my parents, the safety I felt in their arms. I always thanked whatever was up there watching me screw up my life, for at least keeping this a home and not turning it into a house.

If you know what I mean.

After reaching the living room, I spared no moment before allowing my body to sink into our beige, soft sofa.

Don't fall asleep, I mentally screamed to myself. I was supposed to be waiting for the girl I had to babysit. Her mum had told me that she would bring her at my house around five o'clock.

Hayden had taken my brothers to McDonald's -their manly lodge, as they call it- and they would come home around five too.

The doorbell rang, making me sigh of annoyance. I am never taking a minute for myself. I mean, why should I?

I got up and run to the door. Lie, but you know what I mean. I quickly stepped closer and after glancing at my reflection on the small mirror next to the front door, I turned the knob and opened the door ajar.

"Hello sweetheart," a woman said with a big smile. "You must be Catherine," she held out her hand for me to shake.

She was really beautiful, I must admit. Even though you could tell she was quite older than you would expect a woman with a four-year-old kid, her blue eyes had an unusual spark in them and her long platinum blonde hair actually made her look a lot younger.

"Yes," I nodded. "And I guess you are Mrs. Ross?" I asked earning a similar nod from her. Peeking behind her, I saw a little girl hiding her face in her mum's coat. "And who's that little chipmunk over there?" I asked playfully trying to grab her attention.

The girl shrieked and put her hands over her eyes. Mrs. Ross chuckled and brought her forward to meet me.

"Hey," I said in a sing-song voice.

The little girl uncovered her eyes and looked at me straight in the eyes. She was the cutest little girl I had ever seen in my life. With her blonde hair cut into a bob and her big blue eyes, she looked like a fragile porcelain doll.

"I really like your hair," I admitted and glanced back at her mother.

"I will pay you when I come to pick her up, okay? Around nine, is that fine with you?" her mum asked me and whispered something to her daughter.

"Of course, Mrs..."

Oh, gosh, I forgot her name!

"My name is Ellie Ross, but you can call me Ellie," she laughed genuinely. "Thank you very much for babysitting my angel."

"It's my pleasure," I told her, and reached my hand out for the little girl to take.

Her wrist watch made a beeping noise making her jump. "That's my cue to get going. Thanks again, bye," she waved frantically at her daughter and walked away.

I looked down on my hand and my two fingers that were trapped in the little girl's hand. Her small figure was driving me insane.

I was really excited to babysit her, get to know her... Of course I had babysat many times before, but this time it felt as if it was the first one. Or maybe a special one.