Chapter 7

Such an amazing collage by friendlybooksmeller! Thank you so much for it ❤

*Catherine's P.O.V.*

I woke up by the sun blasting through my window. I mentally cursed myself for taking down my curtains the day before. They weren't that dirty after all.

I glanced at my bedside table only to find my clock missing. Cursing again, I searched for my phone.

05:53, I read on my screen.

It was still early to wake up the others so I decided to take a refreshing morning shower. I stepped in my bathtub and let the cold water wake me up completely. Scrubbing my body with some lime scented lotion, I enjoyed the freshness exploding inside my nostrils.

After drying myself, I walked towards my closet to pick my outfit for the day. Good think I did the laundry or else I would have to wear Hayden's shirts.

Now that I think of it I don't think they would be clean either, so...

Anyway.

Opening my closet door, I came face to face with a familiar looking lilac dress. Damn you, Hayden. It was the dress I had seen with Hayden when we had been shopping. I can't believe he bought it for me.

I took it out and admired its beauty smiling. I can't believe he got me that.

I went over to my shoes and saw a cute pair of white flats sitting there along with my flip flops and trainers.

As if he wouldn't, I mentally rolled my eyes.

I didn't have a great collection of clothing. It wasn't because of my parents' deaths, though. I never really liked dressing up formally. A crop top and a pair of jeans was my kind of outfit no matter the weather or occasion.

I quickly put everything on my bed and decided to get dressed after making breakfast.

Walking down the stairs and into the kitchen, I heard the house phone ringing. Weird.

Nobody really called at this phone, or used it either. Let alone that early in the morning. That person must be nuts.

"Hello?" I answered still awestruck by the fact I was using this phone.

"Hello, sorry for the early call," a man quickly apologises. "I'm looking for miss-" he stopped talking for a second. "I'm looking for miss Catherine Jones," he eventually said.

"I am the one. Um, why are you calling?" I asked sounding harsher than intended.

"Well, Miss Jones, my name Xavier Crawford and I am Mr. and Mrs. Harper's lawyer."

"Uh," I furrowed my eyebrows trying to remember where I had heard that last name before.

"I am not quite sure if you have been informed," he cleared his throat. "But your father was adopted and the Harpers were your biological grandparents. If I am not mistaken Mrs. Natalia Jones is your aunt, right?" He asked and I nodded, but as soon as I remembered that he can't see me, I muttered a quick 'yes'. "Feel free to ask her about the adoption as I am not that well informed about the matter," he sighed again and I heard the flipping of some pages from the background. "You see, what I have to tell you is that the Harpers passed away and because of the apparent accident of your father's, you and your brothers are the ones inheriting what they left for him."

"Uh," I was at a loss of words. What do you say in such situations? "A-alright," I scratched the back of my head. "What am I supposed to do?"

"You need to come to my office to get more information, read your grandma's will... I am positive that your aunt will be there to help you as an adult herself," he kept talking without any emotion showing in his voice, but then he sighed. "I am sorry for your loss-es," he cleared his throat again as if he was trying to remain a professional.

"Could I speak to my aunt before agreeing to an appointment?" I asked searching for my phone in my back pocket. "This is a bit too much for me and it's still early, you know?" I chuckled, watching the digits swap in my phone, 06:23.

"Of course, even though she wasn't herself a biological child of theirs, I am sure she can help you out."

"Alright," I nodded stupidly again.

"What I want from you is your email address, so I can send you the will in digital form for you to examine alone or with your family lawyer, if you have one."

"Sure," I stated giving him my email address and after telling him I would contact him soon, I hang up.

"Who was that?" Hayden asked passing by me and walking towards the kitchen. His hair was still messy from his sleep, making him look silly.

"Ready to get confused?" I smiled, already enjoying how he would lose his mind with my talk. "That was my father's biological parent's' lawyer telling me that after my grandparents' death and also my parents' one, we apparently inherited some money."

Hayden choked on the water he had been drinking, making me run to him and pat his back laughing.

"You inherited money? From whom?"

"Jeez, Hayden," I laughed. "I already told you."

He shook his head telling me he should probably drink some coffee before solving the mystery of the lost city of Atlantis.

I left him alone to wake up and went upstairs to wake up the little chipmunks I call my brothers.

"Wake up sleepyheads!" I shouted near their ears.

"Do you always have to do that?" Jake said and sighed.

"Well, let's see..." I said tapping my chin. "Yes," I finally answered and laughed.

° ° °

After breakfast, I went back in my room and changed into the sundress and the flats Hayden had bought for me. I put on a little bit of mascara and lip gloss and went to the living room, not forgetting to grab my backpack and phone.

"Nice dress," Hayden smirked.

"Thanks," I said going in for a hug. "But I'm giving you the money for it."

"Yeah, right."

I drove my brothers to school and then went straight to mine. Hayden had to take his own car as after school we couldn't drive together due to my working at the ice cream parlour.

My first class for the day was Maths, in which a mentally affected teacher harassed students.

Not literally, but you get the pattern.

That's what "Maths" mean to me. I mean, come on, Algebra... Just accept that your "x" is gone and she's not coming back. Stop asking me to find her!

"Class," Mr. Félix started getting up from his cloud of a seat. "Since most of you find Mathematics difficult, today we are going to work in pairs and try to help each other."

Most of the class cheered. Not because they liked the idea. On the contrary, they hated it. They just knew it wouldn't work out and we would end up forgetting all about Maths.

"I am choosing the pairs," he pointed at some girls who had already sat together.

"Jade with Margaret," he started, "Gregory with Sarah, Bella with Mario, Vasia with Zack," he put together the cutest couple of our school. Lucky them. "Jack with Frida, Xavier with Poppy, Catherine with Ryan-" I stopped listening to him after that.

Ryan? Who the fuck is Ryan? Why couldn't he pair me with Bella?

"Look who we've go here," the black haired guy from the night before walked from behind me, smirking. He made a circle around me as if I was his prey and I could see a little drool leaving his hungry mouth.

Well, damn myself for being so hot.

Not.

"Please tell me you are not Ryan."

° ° °