Basement

The following night, I was so sad, and felt depressed, I don't know why. Maybe because of Erwin's death, or I attacked weak Levi. Someone knocked my door. I opened it. It was Levi.

"You forgot to come to terrace so I came to call you." Levi told, "Come soon, with black tea of course." he more like ordered.

I didn't want to go, I didn't even know how to face him. Still I made two cups of Black Tea, and went to Levi.

I sat on a rock. He was stargazing. "You know why I let Erwin die?", He directly came to point. I remained silent. 

"Because when you all were busy with Reiner and Bertholdt, I and Erwin had a meeting outside the walls.

He said,

"I really wanted to know the mystery of the basement. I get a feel that I will prove, myself and my father were right.

But for that I already have sacrificed many soldiers. I know I won't make up today, so Hanji will succeed me. I just want to know the mystery without any more sacrifice.

In my dreams, many time I am standing on pile of dead bodies, who are none other than my dead comrades, friends, family and soldiers

In my dreams, many time I am standing on pile of dead bodies, who are none other than my dead comrades, friends, family and soldiers. This burden is heavy."

To which I said, " Sacrifice once more. Give up on your dreams and die Erwin, let the new generation deal with the problems, you had enough."

I started having goosebumps, felt guilty of what I had done to that noble soul. Couldn't even honour him before his death. That man who in times of death was also thinking about proving his father was right. "Mikasa I am ashamed of you", I said to me. 

Levi continued, "He listened with a smile on his face and then,

"Thank you Levi" Erwin said before calling the scouts.

Then he ordered that everyone must fire the flares to reduce visibility for the Beast Titan while I kill every Titan there, including the Beast Titan.

It meant everyone's death, including his, but he went.

And then I faced the Beast Titan.

And defeated it, until a Titan which walked on fours, termed as Cart Titan arrived and took the man inside Beast Titan along with Reiner

All hopes in me were getting lost.

I let Erwin die, so that he can rest now."

Levi now bears Erwin's responsibility of knowing the proof and taking care of scouts, while Hanji became the new Commander. At that time, Levi was weak because he killed every Titan outside, including the Beast Titan. I was so guilty, I don't know tears began rolling my eyes. 

Suddenly, I felt someone pulling my head to his chest. It was Levi. I began crying out of nowhere. He began stroking my hair with his fingers, while resting his chin on my head.

"Don't feel guilty Ackerman" he told. I don't know but it was much comforting. Levi taking care of me was more comforting. He cares, he have feelings, but he hides it well, like, like me. But he has mastered it more. Suddenly it clicked my mind, I pulled my head, and faced him, while his arm was still around my neck.

"How is your leg now?" I asked.

He remained silent, and pulled my head again to his chest. I could feel his heart beat. 

"You asked that's enough" he replied.

Next day, we assembled in the Assembly Room, called by Commander Hanji and Squad Leader Levi.

Commander Pixis was there, who announced promotions of Hanji, Levi and Armin as Erwin might have wished. Now Hanji was officially Commander, Levi Squad Leader and Armin Captain.

We were happy for everyone, but Levi didn't seem happy. After Erwin's funeral, Hanji and Levi ordered for the recapture of Shiganshina District.

Levi and team left today, leaving us and Hanji behind. A week later, we got news they captured Shiganshina. Its time for knowing the secrets of Grisha Jaeger's Basement.