War

We deployed for Marley as soon as possible. On reaching our camp at Marley, I sneakily took a horse and drifted to the battle ground. I was wandering for a while in hopes to find any familiar face, but all that was visible were bodies of dead soldiers.

"Eren. Where are you?" I whispered to myself.

Few moments later, I saw someone a bit familiar, covered in blood, bandaged face, only one eye visible, which was closed. I recognised it as Levi. I quickly drifted towards him.

"Heichou!" I cried.

I tried to wake him up but he couldn't wake

I tried to wake him up but he couldn't wake. I splashed some drinking water which I carried with me. He woke up. He was coughing bad.

"What happened Heichou?" I asked.

"I failed them again." Levi begun, "I failed myself, I failed them, I let it happen."

"What just happened Heichou please tell!"

"Few of the Colossal Titans emerged and attacked us. I decided to call you all, as reinforcements. For that, we needed our messenger to flee. These all died so that he could leave. I was here commanding them to do stuff until-" he paused, "Until Zeke arrived and tried to kill me.

Somehow, I saved myself, but-" he started staring at ground.

"I guess I am just a failure. I couldn't help my mother. Couldn't save Isabel Farlan. Couldn't help my old squad. Failed many soldiers' lives. Now." He pointed the corpses of dead soldiers, "I failed them.

I wanted to bring every soldier back. But I failed."

He got up and started punching a nearby tree, while I was just staring at him.

"Heichou." I called with a low tone. He didn't listen probably.

"Heichou." I called again. He didn't listen.

I just went near him and pulled him into a hug.

"Levi" I begun, while he was resisting a bit. "You are not a failure.

Even with bad past, you are a great hero to almost everyone here. Just look around. People look at you as their hero. Zeke and other enemies are afraid of you. In fact Eren, he looks on you as an inspiration.

Even you hit him that day very badly, he understood your motive and still admired you. If it would've been me, I am sure he would have been so angry with me."

He stopped resisting.

"These soldiers. Before dying, they must be proud, because they fought along with you. The way we are proud of you.

You lost one eye, two fingers, still you came and fought here. You made Zeke so afraid that he tried cheap trick to kill you. He failed though."

He closed his eye and started resting his head on my shoulder.

"What happened is what happened. We can't do anything about it. We must move forward. We need to fight. We are warriors. Even Eren chose you. He feels it is an honour to die by the hands of his hero.

Will you stop now? Won't you continue? For Survey Corps? For Fallen Comrades,

Friends,

Old Squad,

Petra?"

Suddenly he opened his eye.

"I don't know whether it would work or not, but,

For me?"

He started staring at me in shock.

"I want you to free Eren. Won't you do it for me? Please?"

"But you love him" he replied.

"I do, which is why I want him to be free." I replied.

Suddenly, he started to struggle to get out of my grasp.

"Just stay a little longer like this. Please Levi." I said to him.

"We are in the middle of a war. Sorry I have to go." he replied with an  emotionless face.

"Alright. But tell me."

"What?"

"Will you come back alive?"

"I don't know, why?"

"I want you to live. Will you come back alive? For me? Please?"

He was shocked. More like shell shocked.

"I just want to help you while we kill Eren. Only you can take me there."

He just nodded. I let him out of my grasp, which I didn't want to for some strange reason.

We took our horse and rode back to our camp. 

"Levi! You are alive, Thank God" Hanji exclaimed on seeing Levi.

"I won't die so soon Hanji." Levi replied.

"What about the other soldiers?" she asked.

"Died" Levi replied looking down.

"Oh" she replied looking down as well.

"So Mikasa." Levi begun. "Remember we talked about making you new Captain?"

 I nodded in agreement.

"Looks like time has arrived" Levi replied.

"And remaining soldiers are in your team." he continued, " I will be the Squad Leader though because being a captain all of a sudden isn't an easy task.

Commander Hanji, in my absence, you take care of her."

We all nodded in agreement.

"And in the meanwhile, Hanji will train Armin to be a commander."

Armin nodded in agreement.

"Alright team! Assemble!" Levi cried, and everyone assembled.

"We have a Great War of Mankind ahead. Come!"