Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Mara was tired and aggravated. She hardly slept and Jeremey called her in on her day off due to the afternoon person calling out. She grumbled her way through the day, forcing a smile on her face for customers and counted down the minutes until she could go home.

Lidia had texted her that morning that the alliance with the lycans had been accepted. She was extremely relieved that her presence at the pack house didn't ruin that for them. But her nerves returned to her as soon as Lidia then said they needed to talk and she would be walking her home from work.

Her shift was almost over when Jeremey threw several boxes of books at her.

"Get these on the shelves before you leave. And yes, they all need to be on the shelves so you better find a way to make room for all of them!"

He stalked back to his office and Mara couldn't resist the urge to flip him off behind his back. The cashier at the register saw the gesture and suppressed a laugh.

With a huff, Mara dragged the boxes to the appropriate aisle and began sorting the books to the appropriate spots. Soon, her eyes began to strain from looking at all the ID numbers on the books. They were tiny and it was hard for her to concentrate on finding the appropriate spot for them.

After some time, Mara finally squeezed the last book onto the shelf. She hoped that Lidia was already outside and waiting for her. As she turned to leave the aisle, she finally noticed a large figure standing a couple feet away from her.

"Can I help-"

Before she could finish her question, Mara finally realized who she was looking at. It was the Lycan King. The last time she saw him, he was much farther away and didn't get the chance to truly take him in. Now, he was much closer. He must have been almost seven foot tall with broad shoulders. Even with the large black jacket on, she could tell he was well toned. The scar on his face was much more evident but Mara couldn't deny it made him look more dangerous and even more attractive than he already was.

His blue eyes were locked onto her green ones. She didn't even think he was blinking.

Mara took several steps back and raised her hands up.

"Sir, I'm sorry if I offended you the other night. I didn't mean to! I wasn't aware that you would be there a day early."

She saw him smirk and he slowly began taking steps towards her. She slowly backed away from him.

"Please! I swear I haven't told anyone about you! Or the Blue Moon pack! And I never will!"

She began to panic as her back hit the wall. There was nowhere she could run to and she wouldn't be able to run past him. He had her trapped.

"Please don't hurt me!" She whispered as he stood only inches away from her.

His hands rested against the wall behind her, trapping her between his arms. She closed her eyes and prayed for a quick death. After several moments, she could feel his breath against her ear.

"We would never hurt you, little mate."

Mara's eyes burst open and she felt herself begin to shake and tried hard not to cry.

Mate. He called her mate.

She gasped as he buried his face in her hair and took a deep breath.

"You smell so good... I've been waiting so long for you."

His face traveled from her hair to her neck, breathing her in and even daring to leave a kiss or two.

"Mara... my mate..."