Chapter 45

Chapter 45

Mara fixed her dress and hair several times while waiting for Fenrir. The time seemed to drag by and her heart began pounding hard in her chest. A simple date with Fenrir shouldn't be making her feel so nervous but her body was betraying her. She tried to ignore the feeling while watching television but her eyes kept darting to the clock on the wall.

After what felt like an eternity, a knock on the door made her jump. Straightening the skirt of her dress, she made her way to the door. She had no idea why she felt so nervous. After placing her hand on the doorknob, she took a deep breath and opened the door.

Fenrir was truly dressed for the occasion. His hair was neatly combed. A dark blue shirt was underneath his black blazer, followed by black slacks and shoes.

His smile widened at the sight of her. "You look beautiful, baby girl."

Mara blushed. "Thanks. You look wonderful."

He smirked and looked down to her leg, which still held a large bandage around her stitches. "Is your leg ok? Are you still alright to walk?"

Mara nodded and stepped out of the room, closing the door behind her. "I'm ok. It itches more than anything, but I'll be ok."

Fenrir smiled and offered her his arm. "Ready?"

Mara returned the smile and wrapped her arm around his. He led her through the large house and they made their way to the front door. Before reaching the door, Adam entered, looking tired.

"Patrol patterns are in place, Fen." Adam said with a yawn. "Everything is good to go. You two have a great night!"

"Thank you Adam," Mara said with a smile.

Fenrir nodded to his Beta. "Yes, thank you. Now get some sleep. You look like shit."

Mara smacked his arm as Adam laughed. Fenrir continued to lead Mara out of the house, chuckling under his breath.

"You don't need to be so mean to him. He was just tired." Mara scolded.

Fenrir chuckled again. "He knows I'm just messing with him. He may be my Beta but he's also my friend. We like to fuck with each other."

Rather than head into the small city, Fenrir began leading her off the road and to the woods. Mara took a deep breath as they approached the woods.

"Fenrir, where are we going?" Mara asked nervously.

Fenrir looked down at her. "Do you trust me, baby girl?"

She hesitated a moment, then nodded.

With a smile, he began leading her into the woods, following a narrow dirt path. She could hardly see anything, but trusted Fenrir to lead the way. After about fifteen minutes of walking, they finally reached the end of the woods. Upon leaving the woods, Mara was greeted with the sight of an open field under a sky full of stars.

Mara released his arm and walked forward with a large smile on her face. "Fenrir, it's beautiful here!"

She felt him step up behind her and wrap his arms around her. Mara felt warm and safe in his embrace.

"This is where I come to be alone and think," Fenrir said, nuzzling her neck. "I've never brought anyone else here. I knew you would like it."

He gently took her hand and began leading her further into the field. Just a few feet ahead of them, Mara saw a large blue blanket with a large basket, two glasses and a bottle of wine.

He gently led her to the blanket and she sat down, crossing her legs and Fenrir sat down across from her. Opening the basket, Fenrir pulled out several large containers of food. She was surprised when he opened them, as he had brought two toasted cornish hens, roasted baby potatoes, steamed vegetables and chocolate covered strawberries.

"How did you get everything here and make sure the food was still hot?" Mara asked as he loaded her plate full of food.

He gave her a sly smile. "I might have had some help from Ragnar. It's nice to have super speed in my Lycan form," He said with a wink.

Mara giggled and they began enjoying their dinner.

Ryker stood by his window and watched as his failure of a son led the human woman into the woods. He couldn't deny that she was beautiful, but she was still a worthless human. It had been a huge mistake giving his son the title of Alpha. He thought he had beaten the weakness out of him as a pup. Clearly, he was wrong and felt betrayed.

Had his Lycan not abandoned him, he would have had the strength to formally challenge his son and take the title back.

Barrack had stood by him in every decision regarding how he led his pack. His Lycan easily agreed that pups needed to be trained as soon as possible and their own pup must be disciplined above all other pups. However, Barrack had never forgiven him for how they treated their mate, Eliza. Ryker only saw her as a Luna who would produce pups, but Barrack loved his Luna. Once it was confirmed that Eliza could not carry anymore pups after Fenrir, Ryker felt he had no choice but to try and get pups from the unmated females.

The entire time he had his relations with them, Barrack howled in pain, knowing his mate was suffering as a result. After some time, Eliza's heart couldn't take it anymore and she died of heartbreak.

Barrack roared and raged inside his head, vowing to block himself off from Ryker. Ever since her death, Barrack created a barrier between them. He couldn't even shift anymore. Ryker gritted his teeth at the memory. He could still feel Barrack inside of him, yet his Lycan refused to emerge.

Ryker clenched his fists. Perhaps he didn't have his Lycan, but he would find a way to take his pack back and get rid of the human woman. Even if it meant his own son's death.