Chapter 20

Chapter 20

As soon as his warrior Erin told him Mara was missing from her job, he quickly closed his phone and rushed out of the hotel. Many thoughts crossed his mind and Ragnar was raging.

"What if that piece of shit Jason got to her? I told you we shouldn't have left her alone! She can never leave us again!"

Fenrir wanted to agree and ran through the streets. He was hoping he could get to her work and pick up on her scent. If he could pick up her scent, then he could easily find her.

He finally reached the book shop and slammed the door open. Fenrir didn't even care about the stares of the humans inside the store. As soon as he stepped inside, his mate's scent filled the air and he growled in anger.

Mara wasn't gone. She was in the shop.

Following her scent, Fenrir quickly made his way to the far corner of the shop. As soon as he turned down the final aisle, he was quick to see his mate placing books onto the shelves. As soon as she turned to him, a small smile filled her face.

"Fenrir, is something wrong?"

Fenrir walked over to her, standing only a few inches away.

"Have you been here all this time?" He asked, trying to sound calm.

"Of course. I'm not off work for another two hours. Why would you think I wouldn't be?"

Beneath her words, he knew she was lying. His mate was terrible at it. But calling her out on it would also expose his order for her to be checked in on.

Fenrir leaned down closer to her face, breathing her in. It was hard not for him to devour her lips and fuck her against the book shelves. Under other circumstances, he would spank her until she admitted to lying to him. Then he would find many pleasurable ways to punish her for it.

"Just a feeling. I was worried about you."

Mara raised a brow. "Just a feeling?"

Fenrir clenched his fists and tried not to snap.

"Yes. Just a feeling."

He gave Mara a gentle kiss on the forehead.

"I'll see you at five."

He quickly turned to leave, wanting some fresh air. He walked a few steps towards the exit before her voice stopped him.

"Are you seriously not going to tell me the truth?"

Fenrir froze as her words filled his ears. After a moment of silence, he finally turned to see Mara glaring at him.

"What do you mean baby girl?"

She scoffed. "How about you having your men come in to check on me? Did you think I wouldn't find out one way or another? Or did you hope I wouldn't find out?"

He gritted his teeth and walked back over to her.

"So will you admit you left the shop?" He growled.

Mara took a step away from him, her eyes filled with fury.

"Don't give me that! You started this! You've had your guys coming in to check on me! Do you know how violated I feel?"

Fenrir scowled. "I wanted to keep you safe in case that bastard came for you! All I'm trying to do is protect you!"

"Bullshit. I know full well how Weres and Lycans are. I thought you would give me time and space! I thought you agreed to take things slow with me!"