Chapter 12

Chapter 12

It was an extremely awkward walk for Mara while she and Fenrir made their way to the small breakfast café down the road. He made no attempt to touch her but walked very closely beside her.

As soon as they made their way inside, Mara noticed almost all the ladies turn to openly stare at Fenrir. Even the ones who seemed to be there with their boyfriends or husbands. It didn't take long for the hostess to notice them.

"Good morning! Table for two?" The young woman asked Fenrir. She seemed to be completely ignoring Mara, despite her standing right beside him.

"Yes please," Fenrir said, suddenly wrapping his arm around Mara's waist.

The woman's face seemed to drop in disappointment at the sight and turned to lead them to a table. Fenrir walked alongside Mara, his hand gently placed on her lower back. They were escorted to a small table in the far corner of the café. Like a gentleman, Fenrir assisted Mara into her seat before he took his own across from her.

Mara could almost laugh at the sight in front of her. Fenrir looked entirely too large for the table and chair he sat on but he did not seem to care. His large hands made the menu look small as he held it open in front of him, his eyes quickly scanning the pages. Mara didn't even bother to open hers. She had been here enough to know what she wanted.

Just as Fenrir lowered the menu, a young woman with a black apron and small notebook appeared.

"Hello! My name is Jamie and I'll be taking care of you today! What can I get you?"

Again, the woman only seemed to address Fenrir. Mara could have sworn she saw his eyebrow twitch in aggravation.

"I'll take a large black coffee and the steak and eggs for breakfast. Rare steak and over easy eggs," He quickly said, snapping his menu closed.

The young woman quickly made the notes onto her pad and glanced at Mara.

"And for you?" She seemed to snap.

Mara saw a look of anger take over his face, so she quickly spoke.

"Large glass of milk and a small stack of blueberry pancakes please."

The woman nodded and made her notes. She plucked the menus off the table and gave another large smile to Fenrir.

"I'll get these in! Be right back with your drinks!"

She turned just as Fenrir rolled his eyes. As soon as his eyes landed back on Mara, he sat back in his chair and smiled.

Mara had no idea what to say or do. Fenrir seemed to have no problem just staring at her and smiling. Her eyes darted all over the table, unsure of what to say.

After several minutes of silence, the server appeared with their drinks.

"Your breakfast will be out soon!"

Fenrir ignored her flirty wink and sipped his coffee as Mara took a drink of her milk. Fenrir broke the silence as she placed her cup back down onto the table.

"So what would you like to do today?" He asked with a large smile.

She blushed and looked down to the table. "I-I don't know. I usually just run errands on my days off. Or spend time with Lidia."

Mara felt a sudden jolt in her chest. She had completely forgotten about reaching out to Lidia. But then again, she was still hurt that Lidia would lead Fenrir to her after warning her over and over again about how violent Lycans are. She certainly had a lot of explaining to do before Mara would trust her again.