Chapter 11

Chapter 11

It was by far the best night's sleep Fenrir ever had. Having his mate curled up against him was the most calming sensation he had ever felt. He didn't want to move, but the constant buzzing of his phone was demanding his attention.

He carefully slid out of the bed, careful not to wake up Mara. He quietly made his way into the bathroom to check his phone.

He cringed at the sight of six missed calls and many text messages.

Adam was the first on the list. His text was straight to the point.

Need you to respond as soon as you see this. Shit has hit the fan at the pack house.

He did a quick look over at the other texts and saw one from his Gamma, Garret.

Elders are going nuts! Can you call me please?

Quickly, he dialed his Beta's number. It took two rings before he answered.

"What the hell is going on?" Fenrir snarled as soon as he heard Adam's voice.

"Well, nothing I would consider life threatening. But word has gotten out that you found your mate and she's human. The elders are demanding you call them."

"How the fuck did they find out so quickly?" He snapped.

Adam sighed. "Apparently a couple warriors called their mates last night and told them the news. And as typical gossip girls, word got around."

Fenrir growled in frustration. He knew the elders would not approve of his mate, but he hoped for more time before he had to deal with it.

"Contact the elders and tell them I will reach out to them tonight. I do not want to be disturbed again unless it is a life and death emergency. Make sure everyone knows that!"

"Understood."

"And tell everyone to learn to keep their fucking mouths shut!" He snapped before ending the call. Fenrir swore he heard laughter as he pushed the end call button.

With a frustrated sigh, he exited the bathroom and was surprised to see Mara sitting up in bed. Her eyes were wide and she looked afraid. His protectiveness kicked in.

"Mara, are you alright?"

She looked to be shaking. "I heard you yelling."

He cursed and ran his fingers through his hair. "I'm sorry. I'm not angry at you. My pack seems to be full of school girls who love to gossip."

"What are they gossiping about that's so wrong?"

"Nothing is wrong. They all know that I found my mate."

"And that's what made you so angry? That they all know I'm your mate?"

He immediately heard the pain in her words. Fenrir quickly made his way across the room and wrapped his arms around her, causing her to jump slightly in surprise.

"No, that isn't why they are angry. And I wouldn't care even if that was true. You are mine. I will never be ashamed of that."

They sat like that for several moments. Fenrir held onto her tightly until the smell of fear left the room. Mara seemed to finally begin to relax into him before she placed her hands against his chest and tried to push him away.

"Please listen to me."

Curious, he released her and gave her some space between them.

She took a deep breath and met his gaze. "I'm very flattered you feel that way, but we don't know each other. I'm pretty sure Werewolves are similar to Lycans when it comes to mates. You want me to immediately accept this and mark me. But I don't know you well enough to be even close to be ready for such a commitment. And I'm not trying to hurt you when I say this, but I'm not ready to be in a relationship for a while."

Fenrir considered her words while Ragnar raged inside of him.

"We cannot wait forever for her to bear our mark! I can't stand knowing she isn't claimed by us! We can't have other males looking at her like she's free game!"

He wanted to agree but Lidia's conversation rang through his head. It's true, he could simply take her by force if necessary but he didn't want things to come to that. He wanted to win her heart as well as take her body and mark her.

Fenrir gently took her hands and tried to keep a calm expression, ignoring Ragnar's growls inside his head.

"I want you to know, I will take my time with you. You have my word that I would never force my mark upon you. Not until you are ready. I'm begging you for the chance to get to know me and accept me. Please Mara."

The Lycan in him was disgusted by his begging. He was an alpha male. A king. And he was begging rather than taking what he wanted. However, his rational side was in control, much to his surprise. And for that, he was thankful.

She seemed to consider his words carefully before she spoke again.

"I don't mind us getting to know each other. But please don't get your hopes up for anything. If this really doesn't work out, then you need to reject me and let me go."

Fenrir felt a weight lift off of his chest. She was going to give him a chance. He was going to do whatever it took to win her. Like hell would he ever reject her.

Fenrir smiled and stood. "Great! Let's start by going to breakfast."

Mara looked surprised. "We don't have to start right away! I'm sure you have other things-"

"Do you have to work today?" He asked, cutting her off.

"Well, no."

"Great! We have all day together."

She looked as if she wanted to protest but Fenrir would not allow her to stop him.

"Go ahead and get showered and changed. Then we can get a bite to eat before we hit the town together!"

Mara clearly looked confused and conflicted. After several awkward moments of silence, she sighed and grabbed a change of clothes.

Fenrir had a large smile on his face as Mara entered the bathroom and closed the door.