Chapter 40

Chapter 40

Walking through the pack house was extremely awkward for Mara. Well, rather, being carried was awkward. Dr. Ruth led the way as Fenrir held Mara tightly in his arms. She could see a faint smile on Fenrir's face as they made their way to the clinic.

All around her, Lycans seemed to stop and watch as their Alpha carried his mate. Mara couldn't help but blush at their stares and turned to bury her face in Fenrir's shirt. She couldn't suppress a glare as he chuckled.

"Don't be so nervous. None of them will hurt you," He said.

"They are all staring at me," she mumbled.

Dr. Ruth laughed. "Well, they are all curious about their Luna. Not to mention that this is the first time most of them have seen a human."

After some time, Dr. Ruth led them inside a large room that Mara could only assume was the clinic. There were several beds lined against the walls along with many cabinets and drawers against the walls.

"First thing I need to do is fix those stitches. Then we can get some x-rays done."

Fenrir gently placed Mara on the farthest bed in the room as Dr. Ruth began rummaging around in the cabinet near her bed.

"I'll give you some painkillers before I start. I will need to clean the wound before I stitch your leg up."

Dr. Ruth returned with a bowl of warm water, rubbing alcohol, and the supplies needed to re-stitch her leg. As soon as Mara's eyes landed on the supplies, her pace went white and she began shaking. She had no idea why, but the fact that she was about to have a needle go through her skin made her begin to panic. Fenrir immediately noticed and forced Mara to lay back.

"Don't look, baby girl. It will be quick and won't hurt. I promise."

She nodded and took the pills that Dr. Ruth offered her.

"These will help you relax. I'll be as fast as I can, Luna. I promise."

Mara quickly took the pills and drank from the water bottle offered immediately after. Once the pills were swallowed, Fenrir gently made her lay back as Dr. Ruth began to wash her wound.

Fenrir held Mara's hand and stroked her hair with his free one.

"This isn't how I wanted to bring you here. I wanted to have a warm welcome for you. I wanted to introduce you to my pack with you standing beside me. I'm so sorry, baby girl."

Mara smiled. "It isn't your fault. No one expected rouges to attack us like that while we were driving."

Fenrir shook his head. "No. I'm an Alpha. I should have known better. I promise you that my pack territory is safe. My warriors actively patrol inside and outside our walls. Rogues have never once made it through our walls."

Mara nodded and suddenly felt the pulling of skin on her leg, yet she felt no pain.

"I'm starting the stitches now. Can you feel any pain Luna?"

"No, I actually don't."

Dr. Ruth smiled as she continued to work. "Good. I put an ointment on your leg that helps numb the area. You will need some help walking but it certainly makes things easier for you and me."

Mara sighed and stared up at the ceiling as Fenrir resumed stroking her hair. She couldn't deny that she enjoyed the feeling.

"Fenrir... will you really keep your promise and give me my own room?"

He nodded. "I promise. I ordered Adam to take your things into the room next to mine. Once you are done here, I will take you there to rest. That's your room until you decide to share mine with me."