World of War

Just One Look

Chapter 23: World of War

I woke up to a literal family war, with marshmallow shooters and tootsie rolls. Forts were built on both sides of the main floor of the house, one in the kitchen and one in the living room. Dad and Dean were hollering and shooting at one another, I walked through the battlefield and was maimed with unwrapped tootsie rolls and oversized marshmallows. I deflected many and caught two, shoving them in my mouth.

"Hey!" Dean yelled, he stepped out from the couch and shot me with a marshmallow, I stuck out my tongue and rolled my eyes. "Give those back!"

"I can't, they're digesting. Unless of course, you want vomit." I retorted, walking into the kitchen. Dad was crouched on the ground, his back to the island. He was wearing ski goggles and a pink bike helmet from my childhood. I chuckled and opened the fridge.

"Whatever, bitch." Dean spat under his breath but not quite quiet enough for me to hear. I turned around, with the fridge still open behind me.

"Excuse me?"

"Nothing." He said loudly, I turned to Dad and huffed.

"Did you hear that?" I asked him, he shrugged. I rolled my eyes and grabbed the juice from the fridge and a glass from the cabinet. The war continued as I gathered my breakfast. "Hey, Dad where's Mom?" I asked, again he shrugged. "Dean!" I yelled, he stood up from behind the couch. "Where's Mom?"

"Don't ask me, how should I know?" He snapped.

"Quit being so rude." I ordered.

"What's it to you?"

"You're being rude, and it's not nice." I said, Dad stood up, sensing the tension.

"You're not the one to tell me, God, you're so annoying!" Dean exclaimed.

"I'm annoying? I haven't seen you for almost a week."

"Dean, what has gotten into you?" My Mom asked stepping into the kitchen from the study.

"Nothing." He snapped,

"Don't use that tone with me." Mom demanded, placing a hand on her hip.

"I'm going to use whatever tone I want." Mom stepped back, her temper flaring.

"Well, it's not gonna work with me."

"Go to hell!" He yelled, Mom was completely baffled at this comment. Dad bounded up from the ground and pointed his shooter at Dean.

"Hold thy tongue, or perish!" Dad threatened while also attempting to lighten the mood.

"What are you going to do? Shoot me with some marshmallows?" Mom walked over to him and backhanded him across the cheek. Dad and I looked at each other with worried eyes. This was not going to end well. There was a punch thrown, Dad and I quickly intervened, holding Dean away from my fuming Mother. She had big tears in her eyes and a blotchy red face. This always happens when she gets upset. She was screaming at Dean, about how disrespectful he had gotten. He was screaming at her, nasty comments about her figure, and her personality. Only further proving Mom's point of his recent attitude.

"Mom." I said, backing her into the study.

"Oh my God!" She screamed at last, I closed the door of the study. Mom sat down on the loveseat and started to ball. "He's never been like this-" She sniffed, "before. He's always been- my little Dean." She put her head in her hands. "What did I do? Am I really that horrible of a mother?" She asked me, I wrapped my arms around her and whispered calming nothings into her ear.