Just One Look

It all started with a glance, the butterflies inside of me stirred with one peek at the star quarterback of our prized football team.

His dirty blonde hair was slicked away from his face, save for one strand that dangled above his deep blue eyes. His smile was wide and bright, his laugh was a deep chuckle.

Our eyes did not meet, but I saw him. His eyes twinkled in delight as he celebrated with his fellow friends. There was no history between us, but soon enough we would be in over our heads. We had been partnered in a science project. I planned on doing all the work because of his status, and his big headedness it was all ready a fact that I would do everything.

"Okay, so." He started, I rolled my eyes growing impatient. I am not in the mood to deal with his attitude. I don't even want to be his lab partner.

"I'll do all the work and you can just slap your name on the front." I snapped, he looked at me alarmed and cracked a sly smile.

"Okay then. I was going to volunteer my half. But if you're willing to do all the work then be my guest." He leaned back in his stool, I sat hunched over I looked at him in surprise.

"Wait, you're actually going to try and do this?" I wondered aloud, he smirked.

"Not anymore." He sighed. I huffed and turned to face the front of the classroom again. The morning sun was shining in from the east windows forcing me to squint. I tried to concentrate on the lesson but was continually distracted by the blonde haired disaster seated next to me. He smacked his gum loudly and leaned his elbows on the lab table.

"If you could, please, not chew your gum so loudly?"

"I'll chew as loudly as I'd like." He said blowing a bubble and making it pop. The teacher shot him a warning glare, in response he smiled at the teacher. I rolled my eyes. He was really annoying me. I stole a glance at his angular face, his jaw a sharp line. His blonde hair too long to be swept to the side was slicked back from his face. His blue eyes flickered in my direction and I looked away, embarrassed.

He leaned over and whispered in my ear. "It's okay darling, you can stare."

"Ew." I wrinkled my nose in disgust trying to cover up the blood rushing to my cheeks.

"I don't mind, plenty of people stare," He continued, "even Mike over there." He jabbed a thumb in the direction of the questionably dressed boy who sat next to me in English. I glanced over my shoulder and sure enough Mike was staring.

"You're such an ass." I hissed, not looking back at my lab partner.

"A little quick to make assumptions there, darling." He murmured.

"Judging someone for their sexual preference is lower than low. It doesn't affect you so, you shouldn't care." I whispered, becoming aggravated with his bigoted behavior.

"It does if he tries to rape me." He fired back. My blood boiled for a moment before I forced the anger back down.

"You know what I mean."

"Sure I do." He said sardonically. I huffed and looked at the clock, we were so close to the end of the hour. If only the clock would tick faster.

"Whatever." I sighed as the bell rang to dismiss Chemistry class.

"See you tomorrow!" My lab partner called behind me. I rolled my eyes as I heard the laughs of his friends echo in my ears.

***

The seven o'clock news crackled in front of me.

"Yet another assault in the city of Gotham." Announced the anchor lady. The TV flickered to show the reel from the fairgrounds.