Panic

I don't know what hit me first. Fear, or panic. Maybe both hit me at the same time, I don't know.

My Mom broke down, my Dad evaluated the situation, and Grandma Lynn started eating ice cream with a scooper. I sat down on the couch and stared blankly at the wall, blocking out everything that was going on around me.

"Catrina, we're gonna go home now." My Mom said resting her hand on my shoulder, she helped me up and clung to me as we walked out onto the street. Three cop cars were parked out front, one was my fathers and the other two were his back up. "Daddy's going to figure this out, and he's going to find Dean." Mom said, trying to persuade herself of the outcome.

"Mom, I'm scared." I whispered quietly, my voice was shaking. What if he's dead? Who took him? Why? I got in the car and my Mom drove us home. We were silent, we were stif. I went to my room once we arrived, and went to sleep. I glanced at the clock before my eyes closed. 6:03am

***

"Cat, wake up." My mother poked my stomach, I groaned and rolled over taking my bed sheets with me. "Cat, wake up." She ordered, more annoyed than before. I grabbed a pillow and threw it at her. She grumbled and threw it back, then she started beating me with it. Laughing as she did, I swore at her under my breath and sat up in bed.

"What do you want!" I hollered, still half asleep.

"Wake up, it's time for school." She said hitting my head with the pillow one last time before she left my room.

Did I really sleep a whole day and night? Holy cow. Was I that tired?

"Get dressed, hurry up!" My Mom yelled down the hallway. I rolled my eyes and got up. I dressed in a random t'shirt, jeans, and my ankle boots. I shrugged on a jacket and tied my hair into a bun. "I'm driving you to school!" She yelled, I sighed and walked out of my bedroom. I expected to run into Dean in the bathroom, but I was sorely reminded that he had disappeared. Scenarios started forming in my mind, the worst being the first. His body, torn and bloody was in the river. Floating face down, to the mouth of the delta into the ocean. Never to be found or identified. I shook myself, trying to physically rid myself of anymore bad thoughts. I brushed my teeth and went downstairs, my Mom was ready to leave once I entered the kitchen. I sighed and didn't say anything as I got my breakfast. I toasted my toaster waffle and grabbed it on the way out the door.

"Did I sleep all day yesterday?" I asked my Mom. She nodded, and then sighed.

"Yes you did, and you didn't miss much. The police dusted G-ma's apartment for prints and didn't find anything. Then they had a news special on a shooting that was inside an elite party in Bruce Wayne's penthouse." She shook her head. Then her eyes snapped over to me. "You never told me how you got home." She said, I gulped and cleared my throat before telling her that I was in the shooting. I also told her that Bruce saved my sorry little ass for the second time in my life. She was eager to hear the story from my fathers perspective.

"Oh please, he's probably going to make Bruce look like the bad guy." I said. Mom shrugged and stopped the car in front of the school. "Bye Mom." I said getting out of the car. I looked around and saw a few random groups of people scattered around the courtyard. "Love you." I said before I closed the door and headed inside. I spotted Karen, her arms draped around Jared's neck. She was laughing, a high pitched giggle and she was wearing a black skirt with black leggings and boots. Her shirt was also black, but with white accents. Her lips were scarlet red. She looked around, a plastic smile plastered on her face. Jared's hair was slicked back and greasy looking, he was wearing a dark purple shirt with a black leather jacket and dark jeans. Karen kissed his cheek. Our eyes met and she waved me over with a flick of her wrist. Her smile became genuine as I walked over.