Boom Boom Pow

"Did you?!" Karen stammered

"Yes Karen, I saw Batman. Same as you."

"But did you see that!" She yelled, "The feed went black!"

"Karen, calm down." I said putting my hands on her shoulders.

"How can I calm down?" She screamed, "I saw the Batman. The Batman!" She started to hyperventilate, I shook her shoulders.

"Karen! Snap out of it!" She started taking deep breaths to calm herself down.

"I saw, him." She whispered, again.

"Stop being such a drama queen!" I exclaimed sitting back down on the couch.

"But am I really?" She asked, jutting her hip out to the side. I looked at her as if she had just said the stupidest thing in the universe.

"Yes." I responded flatly. She laughed monotonly.
"I say we find this dude." She declared proudly.

"And how do you propose we do that?" I asked, glancing at her from the side.

"Follow him around."
I threw my hands up in the air.

"How are we supposed to follow him when our detective skills are far less developed than those of the police officers trying to pin him down." I countered, wrapping myself in a blanket. I looked at the clock. "Holy crap, it's getting late." I commented as the grandfather clock struck nine.

"Whimp." Karen teased, sitting down at the computer again.

"I'm sorry if I like getting the recommended amount of sleep every night." I said getting up from the couch. I bid her goodnight, she sighed and followed me to my room.

"I can't believe you." She paused, "why aren't you like, freaking out over seeing Batman?"

"Because, I already did my freaking out." I said opening my door. "I don't freak out as much as you do." I walked into my room and flicked on the christmas lights. They were strung all around my ceiling in all different colors. My movie posters, all framed and neatly lined up next to each other on the wall stared at me. I stopped in front of the full length mirror and stared at myself. Karen came up behind me and rested her chin on my shoulder.

"You're so lucky."

"Why?" I asked not taking my eyes off of myself. My waistline seemed to expand before my eyes.

"You look amazing."

"I don't think so." I claimed, turning away from both her and the mirror.

"Catrina, you're blind. Anyone would kill for your figure."

"You'd think." I laughed, flopping onto my bed. I bounced and flipped on my back.

"I do think." She said. "So, how's that science lab project going?" She asked changing the subject.

"He gave me the whole thing to do." I groaned.

"He's such an ass."

"Yeah, he said that he would do the finishing touches, but other than that. It's my privilege to do this whole project."

"Wait, who are you talking about? I'm talking about the teacher." She said looking at me, confused.

"I'm talking about my partner." I clarified.

"Oh, and who's that?" She inquired.

"Jared." I said flatly, rolling my eyes to emphasis my annoyance.

"That sucks."

"I know."

***

In the morning, Karen and I checked to see if we even had to leave for school, hoping that some hooligan had pulled a prank inside the building. Sadly we had to go, so Karen hopped in the shower before me and got ready. When we pulled into the school parking lot, people were rushing into the school. In the midst of the hallway, there were whispers of Batman. Karen went off to fangirl, leaving me in the library alone. Not many people hung out in the library in the morning, some came in and used the coffee machine. Others relaxed with a book in their hands. I sat at the same computer I did yesterday and started researching. It was a long and boring task, taking me most of the morning free time. Soon I had to leave for my scheduled classes. I breezed through Mathematics and English, but then the looming task of Science class stood before me. I groaned inwardly as I walked inside the room, Jared sat at our table and tapped his pencil on the counter. I didn't look at him as I plopped my miniature mountain at my seat. He flinched and continued to stare at the blank piece of paper in front of him. He made a line on the paper and looked up at me. He looked away quickly and went back to his line. I thought he was being oddly quiet. The bell rang and the lesson began, another day of researching was ahead of me. Whoopy! Jared didn't say anything all hour and I was fairly happy about it, I didn't need him distracting me from my project. Oh, sorry. Our project.