Chapter 10: Help

Just One Look

Chapter 10: Help

School, became a chore that was unbearable. I was tired all the time, with the lack of sleep that I was getting. I was always hungry, but I had no appetite. My last test score was awful. My parents weren't happy about that. They knew that Dean's disappearance was wearing on me, but they were still expecting the best out of me.

"I know that you're going through a hardship right now, Catrina." My teacher said. "But this." He handed me my test. "This is not like you." I could tell that he was worried. All of my teachers were.

"I know, I'm sorry." I said taking the test out of his hands. "Can I have a re-do?" I asked,

"I would say yes, but this was your re-do." I sighed and gave him the test back.

"Thanks anyways." I turned to leave the room.

"I'm sorry that I can't help you anymore." He called after me. I sighed and walked numbly to my next class. I barely flinched when I stubbed my toe on a desk. Jared walked in, and the flames of hate consumed me. After what happened a few weeks ago, I hadn't gotten a word with Karen. She had changed even more, her black and white, turning into black, white and red. She was wearing less and less clothing, pushing the dress code of the school. Showing more of her pale skin that had the faintest purple marks on her arms and her legs. That fucking asshole.

"You still haven't picked up that project." He commented hotly.

"I know, I will."

"When? Now it's overdue."

"Why don't you just bring it to school?" I suggested, for the hundredth, millionth time.

"Because-"

"No reason."

"Don't you start with me." He warned

"Don't you start with me, mister. I have asked you a hundred times, to bring the project to school." I snapped, and I went off like a match. "A hundred times, but you're just too consumed in your own fame that you don't care what anyone else thinks. So, stealing my best friend and giving me a damn good reason to hate you is more important than grades or thinking about your future." I paused to take a breath. The anger inside of me made me shake. "You're just too preoccupied with screwing with other people's lives, that you are asking me to do all the work. When I already did all the fucking work. I bet you my life that you didn't do anything to that project! I bet it has been sitting in your garage, collecting dust for five weeks. When it was due two and a half weeks ago!" I took another angry breath. "So don't give me any reason that you can't bring it to school, when you have the opportunity to every single god forsaken day!" I yelled. I could tell my face was red because I felt all of my blood there. My surroundings then became aware to me. The students in the classroom had stopped and watched me fume about his lack of effort. My face was red from anger, then became red with embarrassment. My science teacher stared at me dumbstruck at my behaviour. Everyone stared at us with big eyes and slack jaws. I started to tear up, everything just coming out at that moment. It had been two months since the disappearance of my brother, my grades had dropped and Karen had gone haywire. My physical well being had plummeted and my mental state was far further from normal. Tears started rolling down my cheeks and I walked quickly out of the room. I walked down the hallway wiping my eyes as I went. I veered right and pushed the girls bathroom door open, tears streamed down my face and I shut myself inside the stall. I collapsed onto the tile as if a wave was crashing down on me. I was so tired, I was so scared, I was still kind of angry. I pulled my knees up to my chest and cried. I didn't hear the bathroom door open.

"Catrina?"

"Yeah?" I sniffled,

"Catrina?"