•TWENTY-FOUR•

•••
Twenty-Four
•••

Emilia arrived back at the Mikaelson family mansion after the long walk back from the graveyard, she had chosen to walk to give herself the time to think rather than getting a lift back not that it helped she had thought she would have had a moment of enlightenment about what to say to Niklaus but that hadn't happened.

She headed through the house and towards the bedroom upstairs, Emilia huffed out a breath and pushed open the door. "Klaus." Emilia spoke softly and quietly.

"Yes?" Klaus questioned turning to look at Emilia as he did his face shifted from a happy one. "Your not coming are you?" He was downtrodden instantly by even the thought of it and it, it made what Emilia was going to say worse.

"No, I have to stay and look after my family." She continued her tone staying quiet and gentle hoping that somehow that made the awful news better, she wanted to travel the world with him but she wanted to stay with the only family she had left and now Ric wasn't there to be the voice of reason someone had to be. "Ric is dying your mother tried to turn him and he is not going to go through with it." Emilia felt herself beginning to tear up, Klaus was so important to her but so was her family. "Niklaus stay with me." She begged.

"I can't do that and you know that as long as I'm alive your family will try to kill me. The family you are choosing to stay with."

"Klaus this isn't a betrayal, My family could change their opinion." "

"Just get out!" He shouted at her as tears stung his eyes, he bellowed the words again and this time she ran away from him crying.

Emilia ran out of the house and down the drive her heart pounded as she cried Emilia had only been this scared of Klaus twice before and he had changed since then or so she had thought. Emilia began to walk though the streets of Mystic falls on her own in the dark and she cried she didn't know what to do or where to go she felt as though she belonged nowhere.

Emilia stopped and she reached the front of the Gilbert house she hadn't even known where she had been walking but she was happy her childhood home had been where he brain had led her. The house was dark and quiet so she just walked up stairs and into her old bedroom, it looked as though no one had been inside since she had last, nothing had been moved and their was a thin layer of dust on most of the things in her room.

Emilia got undressed and she crawled into her double bed pulling the quilt up over her head she pulled her knees up to her chest and closed her eyes, tears fell down her cheek although she soon fell into a restless sleep waking most hours of the night.

•••

Emilia woke up early a combination of both thoughts from last night and the fact she hadn't closed the blinds the night before, she pushed the duvet off her body and sat up, she chose not to try and force herself to sleep again as it didn't work. Emilia changed into some clothes that she had never picked up as Niklaus had got her an almost entirely new wardrobe over the time they had been together. Thinking of Niklaus made a pain radiate through her body it made her head throb and her body ache, she shook the thought of him from her head and headed into the bathroom, she locked the door to Elena's room and looked into the mirror.

Emilia looked straight ahead staring at herself, her face was different with him she had been filled with joy and now she was alone again, in a world that preferred her sister. He left her like everyone eventually did.

She left the bathroom, She sat on her bed an huffed out a breath before she began packing everything that she though she would need into a backpack and grabbed her  she left her old  bedroom quickly and began to head for the front door being alone with her thoughts wasn't safe for her mental health at the moment. She reached for the handle and heard someone rustling behind her and then they spoke. "Emilia?" Damon was in the kitchen making food. "What you doing here?" He asked and she huffed out a breath.

"I guess technically I'm currently homeless, I'm leaving so could you just not tell people I was here." She asked him turning to leave again this time he walked over to her.

"What do you mean?" Damon asked her.

"Well Niklaus kicked me out simple as, that was my home and I don't think after everything I am going to be welcomed back." Emilia complained. "I promised Ric I would look after my family but I'm not qualified to do that. I can barely look after myself." Emilia moved passed Damon and to the front door. "I cant live here Damon, I'm going to check out somewhere else. Ill be back later." She quickly left the house.

Emilia arrived outside the door of Klaus' apartment where Niklaus and her had lived for a short time when they came back from life on the road, they had left it when they moved into the Mansion it was the start of their relationship together. She pushed open a space behind a panel and instantly found what she was looking for, a key. She unlocked the door and pushed it open walking into the main room of the apartment she felt ill, most big things had been left in the house just covered with dust sheets she placed her bag down and removed the sheet from the couch.

Emilia stared at the wall of the apartment for an unknown amount of time before her phone buzzed, and she yawned before standing and looking at the text.

Klaus attacked Elena.

•••

Started: November 2014

Edited: 7th September 2019