•THIRTY•

•••
Thirty
•••

Emilia had got a text from Stefan to go to the high school and that's where her and Niklaus were heading right now, He held her hand in between gear shifts as they drove the text had been vague but had said that was important she went. The pulled up and outside of the gym on the picnic benches sat most of her old school friends, her brother and her sisters two love interests. Klaus and Emilia walked across the grass and towards them the trees were intertwined with fairy lights. "What are we doing?" Emilia asked as she got closer.

"We are finishing the memorial we didn't get to have earlier." Stefan said to Emilia as he handed Elena a paper lantern. "We need to start healing, we've all lost so much, especially recently. I think we are numb to it." He began passing out the lanterns to everyone there even Niklaus "We push it away, we make a joke out of it, ignore how we feel. We've never just let ourselves grieve."

"So you're lighting lanterns?" Damon asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Yeah, we need to do this." His brother replies

"No what we need to do is find out who this hunter is and what he knows about the death of the council. We have more important things to be doing."

"Stefan's right, for one night we need time to grieve." Emilia said to the group everyone turning to her as if she had six heads.

"This is for my uncle Zach, my friend Lexi and for Alaric." Stefan said as he lit his lantern with a lighter, he passes it to Matt who says his is for Vicki. Caroline's lantern is for both hers and Tyler's dad. Jeremy looks between his sisters and says its for their parents, for Vicki, Anna, Jenna and Alaric. Damon refuses to take it and walks off.

"For my Grams." Bonnie speaks lighting up her lantern, Bonnie passes it to Emilia who thinks for a moment.

"For my Adoptive parents, To my real parents, to my aunt Jenna, Alaric and to all of the others that have died this year whether they made it back or not." Emilia said as she lit the ring at the bottom of the lantern she passed it to Niklaus he held onto the lighter for a moment.

"My brother Finn who although I disagreed with I did love and to Henrick who died many years ago but I never truly grieved." Klaus said quietly although embarrassed to show emotion, Klaus looks over at Elena and passes her the lighter she takes it.

"This um – is for my mom, my dad, Jenna, everyone that you've all lost, everyone that this town has lost. And for me, I guess." Elena said lighting up the lantern, they all let go of their lanterns together and watch as they float off up into the night sky. In that moment all of them felt peace for a moment and none of them had a hatred for one another.

•••

Emilia wandered into the mansion with Klaus behind her, so much had happened all in one day and she was starting to get a headache, she let out a deep breath and headed straight to the staircase that lead upstairs. "No night cap for you?" Klaus inquired and she just continued up the stairs.

"I need my bed."

"Oh your bed is it now." He remarked sarcastically raising an eyebrow, he dashed over to her but she knew it was coming and moved quickly only for him to move again a grab her this time kissing her neck as she laughed.

"Come on then we can do anything we want to tomorrow. Just come get in bed with me." She said beginning to run off to their bedroom.

"Nope you are going back to school." She stopped dead in her tracks at Klaus' words and turned around looking at him with a raised eyebrow. "Your going to finish senior year."

"Why Niklaus you could just compel me the grades." Emilia moaned.

"Nope, if you graduate I promise you we can travel the world together." Klaus told her as she rolled her eyes.

"I've not been there nearly the entire year how will I catch up?" Emilia asked,

"I can help you with somethings and others I'm sure you can do because you Emilia are a fighter you are clever and you are able to do this." Klaus walked over to her and kissed her on the head. "We need to go to bed though your up early in the morning." Klaus pushed open the door followed by Emilia who placed her bag on a box in the bedroom.

"What are you going to do tomorrow lazy bones."

"I'm going to start unpacking and finish off a bit of business." Klaus informed Emilia holding her tight, Emilia diverted from the direction to the bed and towards the bathroom. "What are you doing?"

"I'm making sure I start fresh, I don't want another year of just being Elena's sister."

"You aren't, you are Emilia." Klaus told her as he began to get undressed and into bed, he picked up his book and began to read as he heard the shower turn on, he listened for a while but turned back to his book he was reading. He heard the shower turn off and he relaxed into bed knowing that she would be in soon. He lay down and relaxed waiting for her to come in and after laying for an hour he stood and began to wander into the bathroom.

Emilia was finished drying her hair and was now straightening it, although it was taking much less time and seemed to be less effort as he hair instead of reaching mid back now brushed her collar bone. "You like it?" Emilia asked as she straightened the last strand.

"It's beautiful, now please come to bed." Klaus walked over and kissed her cheek taking her hand and pulling her towards their bed. "I'm tired." He groaned like a child and she laughed getting into bed next to him she fell asleep to him gently running his hands through her hair.

•••

Started: 16th September 2019