•TEN•

•••
Ten
•••

The witch began again to chant, Klaus stood close by her side and Stefan began to stir awake his eyes opening to see the fire burning high above the bowl, besides the alter lay Jenna her skin grey eyes left open the lack of remorse showing. "I'm sorry." Stefan spoke to Emilia with a sympathetic look in his eyes.

"Are they coming?" Emilia mouthed slowly to Stefan and he nodded his heavy head, Klaus approaches Emilia and she looked towards Stefan knowing that this could be her last few moments as a human. The circle vanished and she decided not to run it wasn't worth it she just accepted her fate and wiped the tears away from her cheeks standing without his held to get herself up she barged past him making her own way to the alter.

Emilia walked passed her aunts body and onto the alter, Klaus walked over looking her up and down she stared away from him trying to be strong she held herself up as he held her face in his strong hands. Emilia saw Stefan struggling to get up to help but Niklaus forced her to look into his eyes, they were a strong blue colour and in that moment she was lost in them like a sea.

"Thank you, Love." Niklaus gently kissed her cheek, she remembered the way that his lips felt on hers.

"Go to hell." She hissed at him, Stefan struggled with his body betraying him, too weak to move. Emilia takes a breath and she looks out across the quarry her eyes focusing on the little things the small forget me nots that grew in the tree line, the trees that were some of the oldest in the town.

That's when she feels it Klaus fangs in her neck the sharp pain is soon replaced with a different feeling, as she relaxes her mind drifts to a different place the sound of the rushing waterfall fills her ears and it allows her to drift off peacefully. Emilia went limp in Klaus' arms his chin was stained with her blood and Stefan only had to watch helplessly from where he laid.

Emilia's body slumped to the floor as her eyes laid open with nothing behind them Stefan had to turn away. "I can feel it, it is happening." Klaus looked over at the moon that was high in the sky all of a sudden he collapsed and his bones began to crack and shift. He looks at Stefan, Klaus' eyes were a strange shade of gold like any wolf but then dark veins protruded from under his eyes. "YES!" he bellowed the sound almost monster like the flames from the bowl ignited and the witch backed away. She seemed to be listening closely as blood ran from the wound on her neck as chanting began to get closer and closer.

Bonnie emerges from the tree line chanting loudly, before she can even begin to think of a way to stop Bonnie, Damon is looking down at her body feeling a mixture of emotions. Damon stooped down and held Emilia's lifeless body in his arms, he placed his lips to her cold forehead knowing that when she awoke she could be a vampire or maybe she would never be back again.

"No you were dead!" Klaus shouted at Bonnie growling slightly as his body is still going through the transformation, Bonnie was still unfazed by this and continued to chant the spell. Klaus' body contorted into unnatural places. Damon carried Emilia's dead body towards his brother Damon pulled the stake out of Stefan's body. "Go get her out of here! I will stay with Bonnie." Stefan groans, Damon picks her up and speeds away.

•••

Emilia inhales sharply sitting up abruptly giving herself a head rush at first, her eyes take a second to adjust to the light that streamed into the room. "Emilia!" she heard someone shout, looking over she could only see a few blurred figures but she couldn't exactly tell who they were.

"What happened?" Emilia asked her head was feeling like it was about to explode, her vision was beginning to clear slightly and she was managing to focus

"How do you feel." Said one person with dark hair, as he got closer Emilia could focus on his face more.

"I am okay, my heads a little funny but I guess that is something to do with being dead for a little while." She said smiling, she adjusted herself and began to shift herself around allowing someone to sit behind her, when she was suddenly stuck with a pain that erupted from her ribs but she kept it together smiling through the pain.

•••

Two days had passed by since the sacrifice and because of that everything had changed, Emilia hadn't let anyone know about how she was feeling, she would get stabbing pains all over her body and her throat felt dry and scratchy but she put that down to the fact that she had been dead and revived and that the pain would wear off.

Though her death hadn't been a fluke and she wasn't a vampire no her father, John had given his life for her and now she was now going to bury her real father and Aunt in one day. Emilia took a deep breath and flattened out her dress once again she was wearing a skin tight dress with a tulle bottom that stuck out, Emilia put her new locket over her neck, she had gotten a new one after loosing hers a while ago, it was simple but she had picked it out. A large lapis disk was the main focal point of the locket and behind it was where she had a stash of vervain.

There was a knock at the door of Emilia's room and after a quick come in Emilia nearly broke into tears seeing her siblings in funeral attire, Emilia wished she could have helped Jenna more, it was her fault that they were in this situation burying another two relatives. "Are you almost done?" Emilias sister asked softly, She looked up swallowing hard trying to hold back tears.

"Yeah."

"John asked if I would give you this." Elena spoke handing over an envelope. "Jeremy is going to have Johns ring if it doesn't work on us I thought it was better to protect Jeremy."

"I'm sorry that you have lost so many people, I wish I had helped more." Emilia said to her. "At least I have you two." I stand and force a smile pulling them into a deep hug, they left the room as I correct my make-up I place the letter beside me and it seems to be calling my name.

'Emilia,

You are extraordinary I can't believe that you are my child and I am so proud to say that I am your father, I know that Isobel did not seem like it but she loved you. We are both so very proud of you all the shows of yours I could make I sat and watched as you the daughter of someone who has nothing going for them showed how you have everything going for them, you voice always brought joy to my heart.

Because of my prejudices I have failed you, I am haunted by how things could have been different if only I had of accepted the way that things in your life has turned out.

For me this is the end, but for you this is the chance to have a future, to grow old and someday do better with your own child than I did with mine. I do not ask for your forgiveness or for you to forget the wrongs I have done, I only ask that you believe this. Whether you are reading this now as a human or a vampire I love you all the same, I have always loved you.

John, the father who wishes he could be as amazing as you. X'

Emilia gently places the letter on her desk with a picture of herself and John when they were children.

•••

The Gilbert siblings all stood in the graveyard all three held each other's hands supporting one another through the hardships of life something that the Gilbert's had become used to though it never got easier. Walking forward my sister placed her roses on the graves, Jeremy followed suit and then Emilia last.

Emilia lowered her head and allowed the priest to say a prayer not that after everything that had happened Emilia no longer believed in a higher power because they wouldn't allow evil like there is in the world.

•••

Started: August 2013

Edited: 4rd August 2019