Chapter 6

Lily

It's been five days since I have been trapped in this house. The only reason I know that is because every day Liam leaves the house in the evening and shortly after the flames lick my body. After the second night, Sam and I developed a routine. As soon as Liam would leave, Sam would fill my bathtub with cold water and as much ice as he could and when the pain started, I would sink in to the freezing cold water, fully clothed and ride it out. It didn't take the pain away, but it did take the edge off enough that I didn't pass out anymore. After Liam was done, I would start to shake so Sam would turn on the shower to a warm setting and sit in there with me. He didn't seem to mind getting soaking wet, and since dealing with the pain took up so much of my energy I could barely stand upright. I don't think I could survive this new pathetic existence if it weren't for Sam.

As much as the physical pain was taking a toll on me, the emotional pain was just as bad. Every time Liam left the house my heart would sink and when the pain starts it breaks a little more. I asked Sam why on the third day. Since I feel nothing for Liam and quite honestly can't stand him, it made no sense to me why his infidelity hurt me so much. Sam says it's the mate bond. He says mates are supposed to complete each other. That your mate is the other half of your soul. He also said wolves mate for life and cheating is nearly unheard of. He says it's unnatural and goes against their instincts.

Well, lucky me I got the special mate.

I feel bad for Sam. On more than one occasion I begged him to kill me. The pain was so bad I would rather have been dead than experience another moment. I know he hated that the most. He nearly cried the first time I said it, but told me he could never do such a thing. He keeps promising that things will get better, I just don't see how.

On the morning of the sixth day I decide enough is enough. I need to get out of this house. I find Sam in the kitchen and put my plan into motion.

"Sam? Can you take me to my old house? I want to get some of my things." Sam looks up at me from cereal and nods.

"Just let me ask Alpha." He gets a faraway look in his eyes which I know means he's mind linking and I groan.

Liam and I have not spoken since the first night he cheated on me. We rarely see each other and when we do, I turn and walk the opposite direction. He has made no attempts to talk to me and I would like to keep it that way

"Alpha would like to see you in his office." Sam says after a minute or two.

"Shit." I mutter. Sam stands and puts his bowl in the sink before putting his hand on my lower back and leading me toward the door.

"Come on it won't be so bad. His office is in the packhouse."

The packhouse is a ten minute walk from the Alpha's house which I have learned is where I'm being held captive. We walk quietly together and pack members wave and smile at me. I don't have it in me to be cruel to them so I wave and smile back. We are nearly there when a little boy with floppy brown hair and a toothy smile comes bounding up to me. He can't be more than five or six and he's yelling "Luna!" in an excited tone.

"Hi there!" I say to him as brightly as I can manage.

"I picked this for you." He says shyly as he hands me a daisy. I crouch down so I am eye level with him and take the flower

"You picked this for me? That is so kind of you. I love it. What's your name?"

"Ben." He responds.

"Can I have a hug, Ben?" He nods his head vigorously and launches himself into my outstretched arms so hard I nearly topple over backward. I squeeze him tight before releasing him.

"Thank you for my flower, Ben." I say as he runs back to his mom who smiles at me.

I smile back as we continue to the packhouse. The packhouse looks like a three story log cabin with multiple balconies. Sam explained a lot of the younger, unmated wolves live here and this is also where his office and Callum, the Gamma, have an office as well. Sam leads me up the staircase and down a long hallway and we stop at a large, oak door. I knock twice on the heavy wood and hear a gruff "Come in." from the other side. I push open the door and see Liam sitting at a large wooden desk. There's dark blue carpet on the floor and gray curtains lining the many windows. His book shelves are full, but there are no pictures or trinkets to give the office any kind of warmth or personality. I step in to the large office and close the door behind me.

"You wanted to see me." I state as I clasp my hands in front of me.

"You can sit down, you know." He says gruffly as he points to the brown leather chairs in front of his desk.

"I'm hoping not to be here long." I say as I make no movement to go further into the room. He sighs and pinches the bridge of his nose as he sits back in his own chair.

"Why do you want to go back to your old house?" He asks.

"To get some things. My favorite clothes, some photo albums, a locket my mom gave me and some medication." He nods at this.

"OK. But if I let you do this, when you get back you need to start taking a more active role in this pack." He counters. I narrow my eyes at him and cross my arms in front of chest.

"I'll start taking a more active role in this pack when you stop sleeping around." I seethe.

"Jealous?" He smirks.

"Of everyone else in the world that can go to sleep at night without feeling like their skin is on fire? Yeah I am."

"Really, Lily. Does it hurt that bad? Or are you just playing it up for sympathy?" My mouth gapes in astonishment. I decide right then and there this asshole needs a taste of his own medicine.

"I'm done with this conversation. Can I go or not?" He sighs again and looks out the window.

"You can go. Sam will take you. But I was serious I need you to start making an effort around here." I narrow my eyes at him again.

"Oh, I'll make an effort alright. I'm just not sure it's the one you want." I bite back at him. I'm gonna sleep my way through every unmated male in his pack as soon as I get back and see how he likes it. I slam the office door behind me without another word where Sam is still waiting.

"Roadtrip?" He smiles. He obviously heard every word of that conversation.

We load up into a black SUV, similar to the one Liam kidnapped me in and Sam starts for my home. My stomach is in knots and I'm terrified. I don't know how I'm supposed to leave and go back to my prison after this small taste of freedom. The thought makes my heart clench. I wish I had the chance to say goodbye to everyone in my life. Sam pulls up to my house and Derek's car is parked on the street which surprises me. It's a Tuesday morning he should be at work. As far as I know, none of the wolves know about Derek and I'd like to keep it that way.

"Sam, could you do me a huge favor?"

"Sure, Luna." He smiles brightly. He loves when I ask him to do things. It's so weird.

"Could you go to Latte Da for me? It's my favorite coffee shop and I have a feeling I want be going there again any time soon. I just really want an iced coffee and blueberry scone." He looks at me as if he's trying to decide something.

"You promise not to run?" He asks. I give him a sad smile.

"I have no car, nowhere to run and Liam made it pretty clear he would find me wherever I went." Sam nods, convinced by my answer.

"I'll be done by the time you get back. Thanks, Sam!" I shout as I slip out of the car and slam the door behind me. I take the keys he gave me and pretend to unlock the front door. I'm sure he's watching me and I don't want him to know anyone else is here. I hear the car drive off and as I step into the house sitting there at the island, head down and obviously miserable, is Derek.