Chapter 40

Chloe^

Sam

These fucking rogues would ruin a perfectly good breakfast with Alpha and Luna. Those times together are some of my favorites, and they will die for messing it up. Luna is a bomb ass cook and never yells at me for making a mess. She's so sweet and welcoming. I don't know how we functioned before her. I know I don't tell her enough but God I love that woman. She's like the sister I never got to have. I hope my mate is just as amazing as her. When Alpha said where the rogues were it threw me for a loop. I sniffed all over that part of the territory this morning and I couldn't find anything. So I knew I had to go with him to investigate. Plus I like running with him. He's the strongest male in the pack so he pushes me, challenges me to be better and faster.

'I'm so tired of these god damn rogues.' Alpha says in our mind link.

'Same.' I respond.

All of a sudden the most amazing smell hits my nose. It's like that first breath of fresh air after you've been stuck inside forever. I breathe it in again and notice a little flowery hint to it. It's not too sweet, but reminds me of spring, my favorite season. I veer off from Alpha to go looking for whatever it is. My wolf is anxious and takes control.

'Where are you going?' He asks.

'I smell something weird. I'll meet you there.' I cut our link and pump my legs towards the scent.

It pulls me further away from where the rogues were found to a small clearing with wildflowers smattering the ground. I see Callum standing with some of our scouts, but I ignore him. My wolf keeps chanting the one word I've been begging to hear.

'Mate, mate, mate!' I search the clearing furiously until a see a group of four or five women. I look from each one until I lock eyes with one.

She's the most beautiful woman I've ever seen. Dark brown hair, hazel eyes, strong cheek bones, her beautiful heart shaped mouth open slightly in surprise as she eyes me. She looks unkempt, like she hasn't been given a shower in far too long, and she's incredibly skinny. Much too skinny for a healthy wolf to be. I stay in my wolf form to mind link Callum.

'Who are these women?'

'They were being held hostage by the rogues. The scouts found them twenty miles from the border this morning and brought them here.'

I'm about to shift back to my human form when Alpha's panicked voice rings out in my head.

'EVERY AVAILABLE WARRIOR GET TO THE ALPHA'S HOUSE NOW. YOUR LUNA IS IN DANGER'

Fuck! I take off towards the Alpha house and mind link Callum.

'Take the brunette to the hospital and don't leave her side. She's my mate.' I look back at him and his face is surprised, but he nods.

I know he won't let anything happen to her. Everyone knows how much I've wanted to find my mate.

I push my tired legs as fast as I can. I really wish I hadn't taken that run this morning, but the breakfast Luna cooked gave me more energy to push through. I get to the house and burst in. It's quiet, eerily so. I've never been here alone.

"Luna?!" I yell out with no answer. I search the house, including the bunker, and it's empty. It doesn't look like a struggle took place. I look around the kitchen, dishes from this morning still in the sink.

What the fuck?

I leave the house and shift back and run towards the packhouse.

'Where's the luna?' I ask the other fighters.

'Alpha took her to the hospital. She was pretty hurt.' One of them answers.

I move into that direction, deciding to check on my mate first and then the Luna. She has Alpha, my mate has no one.