Chapter 11

Liam

It had been nearly four months since I found Lily and after her first week, I could probably count on one hand the number of times we actually talked. We asked each other the occasional question, or said good morning when we passed by each other in the hall and that was basically it. I could go days at a time without ever actually laying eyes on her. The only proof she existed was her mouthwatering scent that clung to nearly every square inch of our house. The extended absence from our mate was making my wolf depressed. He rarely talked to me, didn't even bother to ask for Lily and flat out ignored me most days. I couldn't even remember the last time I shifted. So now, not only did I feel like I was missing the half of my soul where Lily should reside, I was losing my constant companion in my wolf. I thought pushing her away, keeping my distance and making her hate me would make me happy. I didn't want anything to do with having a mate, being all annoying and in love.

The idea used to make me gag.

But now I can feel in our pack link the love they hold for her. Our pack bond is stronger, content, happy even. It's everything I wanted for my pack.

Then why am I so fucking miserable?

I can't even remember the last time I had a good night's sleep. I had to move my bedroom right across from hers. I told her the bathroom was better but the truth is the only way I can fall asleep at night is by listening to her heart beat through the walls. It's pathetic, annoying and even a little creepy which is why I haven't admitted it to anyone but myself.

After hours of mind numbing paperwork I decide to escape the house that taunts me with her glorious scent and take a walk. As I head down the stairs, I hear shuffling coming from the dining room. I doubt it's Lily, since I've never seen her in there so decide to inspect it. Sure enough, there my girl sits with papers around her, a pen in hand and ear buds in with her foot tapping to the beat of whatever music she's listening to. I tap on the table to get her attention and she startles before looking up at me. Her eyebrows furrow in confusion and she takes one ear bud out.

"What?" She asks curtly. I've gotten used to her short fuse over the last few months. She speaks as few words to me as possible to get her point across and no more. It used to be convenient, but now it gets on my nerves.

"What are you doing?" I ask as pleasantly as possible.

"Why do you care?" She rolls her eyes before looking back down at whatever she's working on.

"If it concerns my pack, then I care." I respond trying to keep my tone level. Civil conversation is what I'm shooting for here. Have to start off somewhere. She rolls her eyes and looks up at me. Her eyes are so beautiful I just want to stare at them for awhile and memorize every detail.

"I found out that you guys don't let the kids trick or treat on Halloween because you all go on a big pack run so I'm throwing a party for all of the kids and pregnant she wolves that can't shift." She says matter of factly before going back to work.

"Where is this party going to be?" I ask, genuinely curious. It's a good idea and I'm glad she thought of it.

"Here." She says simply and I freeze.

"Here? As in our house?"

"You mean your house."

"What?"

"This isn't my house, Liam. It's yours. And I'm borrowing it for the party." It hurts a little to think that she still considers this my house and not her home. I've tried my best to make it comfortable for her.

"What do you mean this isn't your house?" I ask her.

"It's 'the Alpha's house' not 'the Alpha and Luna's house'" she responds.