Chapter 23

Lily

Liam and I settle into a comfortable routine over the next few weeks. We eat breakfast together, go about our daily tasks and eat dinner together as well. Sometimes I join him in his office to go over paperwork and because I miss him. Which is weird for me, but I’m blaming it on the mate bond. Liam has been much more touchy lately, always looking for a reason to hold my hand, wrap his arm around my waist or shove his nose in my neck to get his fix of my scent. We also sleep in the same bed every night, and I’m amazed he has yet to make a move on me. I can’t help but think back to that night when he told Sam he couldn’t have sex with me because he’d hurt me and wonder if that’s the reason why. I’m considering this when he slides into bed next to me and lays his head gently on my chest. That seems to be his signal that he wants to me run my fingers through his hair and I happily oblige. I can’t help but coo at the cute purring noise he makes in his chest as we drift off to sleep.

I’m not sure how much later, but we are woken by blaring sirens screaming through the entire pack. Liam jerks awake and is immediately standing at the side of the bed.

“Fuck!” He screams as he gathers me in his arms, blanket and all, and begins carrying me down the stairs.

“What’s going on Liam?” I know those sirens mean there is an attack of some kind, but that’s all I know.

“Rogues. At least fifty of them. Sam is already there but I need to go.” Liam looks down at me and gives me a firm look with hard eyes.

“I need you to listen to me Lily. If I die, you need to find Sam. If Sam dies too, I need you to get in a car and drive. Run away and don’t look back. Do you understand me?” Horrified at what he’s telling me I can’t stop the panic in my voice.

"What are you talking about?!"

“Just promise me, Lily. Trust me.” He says as we enter our basement. I nod hesitantly, staring at him with wide eyes.

“I promise.” He sets me down and opens the door to the bunker. After his family was killed, he had one installed in every home so anyone who wasn’t fighting wasn’t running around the pack trying to find somewhere safe.

“Lily.” He cups each side of my face with his large hands and forces me to look into his eyes. I can see his concern, but it’s mostly fierce determination staring back at me.

“You may feel some pain. If I get attacked. Don’t panic. I will feel it and I could lose concentration. I need you to try not to worry. You need to be strong for me. And Sam. And the pack. They can feel what you can as well. They need their leadership to be strong.” I can feel calming sensations running through me, surely from Liam’s touch, and do my best to grab onto those and hold on for dear life.

“I’ll be fine. Come back safe.” I say with a fierce prod to his chest.

“Yes ma’am.” He gives me a weak smile.

I think he’s about to turn away, but he looks back at me with a conflicted look. He still has my face in his hands and before I can discern what’s about to happen, he leans forward and catches my lips with his.

The kiss is fierce and desperate. Like a man who knows he could never get another.

He opens my lips with his tongue, as I wrap my arms around his waist pulling him closer. Sparks and fire spread through my body while a deep longing for more takes up residence in my heart. I’m sure it’s not going to go after this kiss is done. I moan softly as he continues to massage my tongue with his and move his hands from my face to my waist, pulling me flush against his body. He pulls away abruptly, eyes black with lust as he looks down at me.