Chapter 15

Lily

After my little late-night tryst, Liam went back to ignoring me. For nearly a week he didn’t speak so much as one word to me. It was perfect. Even though a little part of me missed his attempts to talk to me, I chalked that up to the mate bond and ignored it. Our newfound peace and quiet apparently couldn’t last forever, though, as it was disturbed Friday morning. Sam and I were sitting in the kitchen, eating the French toast I made for breakfast.

“When are we going to the school today, Luna?” Sam asked. Although it was muffled around the giant bite of French toast he had in his mouth. Syrup began to dribble down his chin and I wet a washcloth for him to wipe his face with.

“Yes, when are we going to the school today?” Liam asked with a bright smile as he saunters into the kitchen. He’s wearing a red v neck sweater with faded jeans and his hair is still a little damp from his shower, the strands falling down over his forehead.

I may hate him, but I’m not too proud to admit that the man is gorgeous.

“What do you mean ‘we’?” I ask.

“Well, I promised I’d go to the school so I might as well go at the same time as you. I never break a promise, especially not when brownies are involved.” I roll my eyes and turn my back on him to start the batter for my brownies.

“We’re going to head over about one. That’s after lunch so the kids won’t ruin their appetites with sugar.” Liam comes to stand next to me and brushes his arm against mine while pouring himself a cup of coffee.

I internally scream at the sparks that erupt from that simple touch and move a few steps away to distance myself from him. I take deep breaths and go over the recipe in my head as Liam gives me a cocky smile.

“Sounds good.” He says as he grabs a plate.

“Am I allowed to eat this?” He questions while gesturing towards the French toast and sausage sitting on the counter.

“Only if you agree to clean the kitchen with Sam.” I respond. He looks around as if to appraise how messy it is.

“Fine.” He responds easily. I put my hand on his to stop him briefly. If he wants to use physical contact to turn my brain to mush, I can do the same. I know he feels the effect as he stiffens next to me and his eyes darken when they meet mine.

“After I make the brownies.” He nods again then shakes his head, obviously not entirely understanding what he’s just agreed to.

“Alpha, you should add Luna to the pack link. It would make things a lot easier and I could stop serving as her personal messenger boy.” I pout and stick out my bottom lip at Sam.

“Awe, but I like you being my messenger boy. I bought you a hat and everything. It should be here any day now.” Sam rolls his eyes and looks over to Liam.

“That’s fine.” Liam says as he turns to me. “Lily come sit down next to me. This is going to feel weird and I don’t want you to fall over.” I eye him skeptically as I sit down next to him on one of the chairs at the island.

“I need you to open your mind.” He says quietly while staring deeply into my eyes. “It’s going to feel like something is pressing against your brain, you need to let it in, or it will start to hurt.” I nod and wait for the sensation. Soon enough, I feel like the pressure in my skull has increased. I try to reach out with my mind and grab onto whatever is causing the sensation and I hear an audible click in my brain before a waterfall of voices floods into my brain. There are many shouts of ‘Luna’ and ‘Welcome’ as it begins to get overwhelming, I put my fists against either side of my head.