Chapter 42

Liam

I sat and watched Lily for hours. For some kind of reaction, for her to wake up. But she continued to lay still in her bed. I mind linked Sam to come back and at some point, he entered the room, but my eyes stayed on Lily until he cleared his throat.

“Alpha?” I glanced over at him then back to Lily.

“Yeah, Sam?” I ask quietly.

“Um… I want to tell you something.” I look over and lock eyes with him. He’s shifting restlessly in his seat and looks worried.

“What’s wrong, Sam?” I ask narrowing my eyes. He shakes his head.

“Nothing.” I breathe a sigh of relief and grab Lily’s hand. It might just be wishful thinking, but I feel like the sparks are a little stronger than before. I squeeze her hand gently, hoping she knows I’m here.

“Good, because I can’t handle any other shit storms right now.” I say.

“No, it’s nothing like that it’s just that… I found my mate.” My eyes snap to his and he has a wide smile on his face. His eyes are brighter than usual, and his chest is puffed out a little in pride. I can’t help but smile back at him.

“That’s great.” I say. “Where did you find her?” His smile falters a little and he rubs his chin, something he does when he’s anxious.

“She was being held captive at the rogue camp. The scouts found her and a few others this morning.” I nod in understanding.

“Where is she?” I ask.

“Here in the hospital. She wasn’t hurt or anything, but they didn’t feed her right and she’s way too skinny. I asked the doc to let her stay for a while so I could be close to Luna too. Her name’s Chloe.”

He’s got the same look on his face as when he opened that Xbox on Christmas and my heart warms at the sight. We all know how badly Sam wanted a mate, even if he tried to hide it.

“I’m really happy for you, Sam. Why didn’t you say anything earlier?” His smile fades and he looks over at Lily and it dawns on me. Lily was almost as invested in finding Sam’s mate as he was.

“It doesn’t feel right without her Alpha. Nothing does. Can you imagine a Christmas morning without her now? I know she’s your mate, and I don’t love her like that, but I feel like she’s part of my soul too.” His eyes sheen with tears and I nod at him.

“I know exactly what you mean, Sam. But she’s gonna be fine. She’s going to wake up and then we are going to train her. We’re going to work her hard so she’s strong for her shift. And after she shifts, she’s never leaving my side. Never.”

“That’s the kind of positive thinking I like to hear.” Dr. Sommers says from the door with a smile.

“What’s taking so long, doctor?” I ask impatiently, standing from my seat and stretching a little.

“It’s just the process, Alpha. Patience.” I smile at that. I’m always telling Lily to be patient and her standard quip ‘that’s not a virtue I possess’ makes me smile every time.

“Good news, though. Her labs have improved much faster than I anticipated. She’s out of the woods, at least until her shift but now that I’m in here… Can’t you smell that?” she asks.

I look at her in confusion then take a deep breath. I must not have noticed it since I’ve been in here and the change happens subtly, but Lily has the distinct smell of a werewolf. It’s faint, for now, but definitely there.

“Isn’t it a little early for her scent to be changing?” Sam asks with furrowed brows.

“Yes, it is.” Dr. Sommers responds. “Either she got a great deal of venom, or her wolf is already taking over.”