Chapter 24

Lily

 I push the door to Liam’s room open gently and see a scene of mass confusion on the other side. Nurses are running around gathering supplies while Dr. Sommers barks out orders. Every fiber of my body wants me to jump in and help, but I know from years of experience that it’s better to sit back and allow the professionals to work. Dr. Sommers spots me out of the corner of her eye and walks towards me.

“Luna! Thank God you’re here. We need your blood.” She motions to a nurse that starts to gather supplies and sits me down in a chair next to Liam.

“What are you doing?” I ask as I eye the nurse skeptically.

“A mate’s blood can help heal. Alpha was stabbed with a silver blade. He bled heavily and as a result, there is a high level of silver in his system. We need your blood to help flush it out and to help kickstart his healing.” Dr. Sommers explains. I nod in understanding and extend my arm for the nurse to insert the needle.

“How many units can I take from a human?” She asks Dr. Sommers.

“Three.” I answer automatically. Dr. Sommers eyes me with doubt.

“I was a nurse. A human nurse. Do it. Just get me some orange juice, I’ll be fine.” I’ll probably feel like shit for a few days, but it’s worth it.

Dr. Sommers nods and the nurse inserts the needle. I watch the flow of red liquid from my arm into a bag, before looking over at Liam. He’s unconscious, pale and sweaty. He has no shirt on, revealing a large white dressing traveling nearly the entire length of his abdomen. There are spots of crimson on the bandage where blood has seeped through. I reach forward with my other hand to grab his and hold on tight. They have finished stabilizing him, so it’s only the nurse taking my blood and Dr. Sommers left in the room.

“Will he be ok?” I ask her quietly. She sighs and gives me a weary look.

“With your blood, I believe so. Without it, I think the silver would have eventually damaged his internal organs to the point of death.” I let out a shaky breath and squeeze his hand tighter. Someone brings me orange juice and water. I chug both knowing I am going to need to replace the fluid being taken from my body.

“You should eat, too.” Dr. Sommers says.

“I know, I just don’t think I could stomach anything right now.” She nods in understanding and hands me a granola bar.

“Try anyway.” She says.

 I nibble on the granola bar as I watch my blood drip through Liam’s IV into his arm. I haven’t let go of his hand. Shortly after his infusion is complete, the door squeaks open. I look over and gasp at the sight.

“Sam! Oh, Sammy.” I nearly cry taking in his appearance. His face and torso are covered with bruises and gashes, one on his shoulder is still bleeding. His arm is in a cast and he’s obviously limping as he crosses the room towards me.

“How bad are your injuries?” I ask him. I don’t bother to ask him if he’s ok. I can tell by the pain in his eyes that he’s not.

“Broken arm, couple of broken ribs, fractured tibia in one of my legs. I’ll be good as new in a day or two.” He says as he kneels in front of me. He lays his head down on my lap and wraps his arms around my waist. I wrap mine around his neck and lean down to nuzzle his cheek.

“I’m so sorry, Luna. I’m so sorry. Is he going to be ok?” He is absolutely destroyed and the pain in his voice brings tears to my eyes.

“He’s gonna be just fine, Sam. You know Liam. He’s too stubborn to die.” Sam let’s out a choked laugh and then groans at the pain in his ribs. I hit the call button and a nurse comes in the room.