Chapter 31

Liam

I looked up into those beautiful blue eyes that I have come to adore and wondered how I had ever denied my feelings for this amazing creature.

I had been stubborn, stupid and, to a certain extent, cruel. She deserved better than that, better than me. But I was the one she was fated to be with so all I can do is work harder every day to be worthy of her.

"Really?" She asks quietly. A lone tear tracks down her cheek and I reach up to brush it away.

"Yes, Lily. I really love you. I have since the Christmas party when I saw you holding Grace. You looked so beautiful and happy."

My heart expands and my throat clogs with emotion at the thought. I wanted to jump up from that chair and fold her into my arms to never let go.

"I didn't think you were ready to hear it yet, ready to believe it. But now you know the extent of my loyalty and affection. I will always be here for you. I will protect you and cherish you. After losing my family, I never thought I could love someone again but, sweetheart, you make it easy."

I feel tears of my own cloud my vision. God I can't even remember the last time I cried. I reach up to wipe them away, but Lily beats me to it. Gently cupping my cheek with her tiny hands she uses her thumbs to wipe the wetness from my cheek and leans down to kiss me sweetly. She leans back up and looks deep in my eyes.

"I love you too, Liam." She says quietly.

My eyes widen as I look at her in shock. I honestly didn't expect her to return my feelings. She must be able to sense that because she giggles a little.

"I know it might be hard to believe after everything we've gone through, but I really do love you." I smile brightly at her as my heart expands so much in my chest I feel a physical ache.

Is this what joy feels like? It's been so long since I experienced it.

"When did you know?" I ask her quietly, searching her eyes and finding nothing but love and adoration.

"When I saw you unconscious on your hospital bed. I knew I never wanted to live in a world that didn't have you in it. I almost let the nurse bleed me dry to get you the blood you needed to heal." She chuckles at the memory and sniffles a little while I dry her tears.

I wrap my arms around her waist and she wraps hers around my neck. I pull her in tight to me, burying my face in her neck. We stay like that for a long moment. It's the most peaceful moment of my life, holding the woman I love in my arms. I feel solid, grounded and complete.

"You really love me, Liam?" She murmurs in my ear.

"Yes Lily. I'm completely head over heels in love with you." I grin at her and she returns my smile with one so sincere my knees weaken.

"Then show me." She says cheekily. My brows furrow in confusion as I search her words and eyes for meaning.

"What do you mean?" She giggles before removing my arms from her waist.

"I want you to take me upstairs and show me how much you love me." My eyes widen as her realization dawns on me.

"Really?" I ask excitedly. She nods while giving me a small shy smile.

"Unless you're not ready for that step yet..." She says. I jump to my feet and lift her over my shoulder.

"Oh I'm ready. So ready. Over ready." I say as I bound up the stairs while she's holding on for dear life and laughing hysterically.

We reach her room, or our room I guess, and I plop her down on the bed. She lands with a little 'oof' and I peel off my shirt. She eyes me hungrily as she traces my torso with her gaze. My skin heats everywhere I feel her looking and my heart rate increases. I've seen her check me out before, usually subtly, but this obvious eye fucking has my hairs standing on end and excitement rippling through me. She bites her lower lip and groans a little causing me to smile.