Neighbor Chapter 1

Ann, August 1st, 2 pm: I run upstairs to claim my room before my little brother Jamie can get his chance. I know exactly where it is from the virtual tour we took before I got here. I enter the first door on the left at the top of the stairs. The room is spacious and was definitely a master bedroom at some point. They built a bigger master downstairs where my dad is going to sleep. This room should be the one with the view. I immediately move to the window and look out. At... Another window? Where's the view?

"Aw man! I wanted this room!" Jamie pouts when he makes it up the steps.

"Ya know what-" I was going to tell him he could have it then I saw him. A tall boy with a deep tan and dark curly hair walked into the room across from mine. "Too bad." I finish turning around so I don't get caught. Jamie leaves in a huff and I turn back around. I smile but it quickly fades when I see a girl wearing a hockey jersey and seemingly nothing else walks up to him.

I turn away so I don't see anymore. Shit. I walk back downstairs to see my dad talking to the truck driver. He brought all of our things down. Which honestly isn't much. We'll have to do some shopping to fill this huge house. I slide past my dad and bring in two boxes at a time. My dad helps me with the bigger stuff and we finish a little before dark. We order a pizza for dinner and my dad retreats to the basement to drink himself to death where Jamie and I can't see. That's all he seems to do since he found out my mom was cheating on him and they divorced. 

I manage to get my box spring and mattress on my thin bed frame collapsing onto them when I finish. I roll over to look out the window that's across the room from me. I'm glad the boy has curtains because I don't. I sigh and fall asleep without any sheets. 

Ann, August 2nd, 7:45 am: I'm jolted awake the next morning by my phone ringing. I adjust the glasses on my face that I fell asleep still wearing and fumble around the room till I find my phone on my dresser. ''Hello?'' 

''Um hello? Why didn't you call me?'' It's my friend Lily. 

''Sorry, aren't you still supposed to be asleep?'' 

''First day of school without you. That's what happens when you move across the country.'' 

I pull my phone away from my face to check the time. It's seven am. So it must be ten for her. ''Are you in Frederickson's class?'' 

''Yep.'' I hear mumbling in the background. ''He says hi.'' 

''Hi Mr. Frederickson!'' That earns a laugh from the other end. 

''I miss you so much.'' Lily whispers. 

''Me too.'' We were supposed to have Fredrickson together this year like the past two years. Perks of taking a computer class. ''Come visit me I think you're going to love it here. I've done tons of research. All kinds of places to visit, art museums and the pier.'' 

''I will, love you.''

''Love you too.'' I hang up and slump back into my bed. I glance up at my window to find the curtains still closed. I sigh and turn on my wake up playlist as I get ready. I put in my ear buds  and write a note telling dad I'm borrowing his car for groceries. I grab my purse and his keys. I hop in the car that is literally the same age as me, that'd be sixteen by the way. I drive out of our neighborhood remembering a small grocery store we passed on the way here. 

I go inside and check things off of my mental list since I didn't make a physical one like usual. I grab breakfast essentials so I can cook something when the boys get up, then I grab enough to make lunch and dinners for a week. The blond boy checking me out flashes a big smile. ''Did you find everything okay?'' 

''Yes, thank you.'' He looks to be about my age and I'm probably right judging by the way his eyes rake up and down my body before he turns to the computer screen. I suppress a shiver and pay for my things making a quick get away. I mean he wasn't bad looking but I still don't like it when guys or anyone for that matter looks at me that way. 

I get home and start on breakfast throwing away my note that went unseen as I figured. My dad comes upstairs probably woken up by my banging around unpacking boxes. He's sporting a pair of dark sunglasses even though I left the lights off, the only light is coming in from the living room at the front, I put up curtains everywhere else. ''Hey there vampire.'' I say shoveling eggs onto a plate. 

''Hi sweetie.'' He mumbles before he begins eating. Jamie comes down an hour later and I make him a bowl of cereal. He says nothing else as he scrolls through his phone. 

''Hey dad can I get a start on my garden today?'' I need to find some sort of farmers market so I can get veggies and flowers. 

''Sure just take my car.'' I nod like I had something else to take.

''Jamie be sure to put up your bowl when you're done.'' I do some research and find a florist shop not far from here and small farmer's market down the street from it. I'll start at the farmer's market. I need to watch how I spend money until I get a job again. I worked at a local grocery back in Myrtle Beach but I haven't had a chance to look for jobs here yet. 

I leave the house opening the curtains before I do. We can't live in a dungeon just because of a hang over. I lay down a sheet in the back of the car so that my plants don't leave the car a mess. I turn around slamming the car door as I do. I look up to see the boy and the girl on his front porch. She's actually wearing what look to be her own clothes. He was kissing her bye on her neck. I roll my eyes and laugh a little. I get in the car and throw one last glance in their direction. The boy had looked up and was looking directly at me. I feel my cheeks grow hot as I quickly pull away from my house.