Protector Chapter 17

"Heard Grayson dumped your mortal ass, though he wouldn't say why." Conrad smiles at me.

"Ann?" Jamie tugs at my hand.

"Hit all the houses to the cul de sac I'll meet you down there." He's in more danger here than surrounded by other kids with their parents. "What do you want Conrad?" I ask once he's gone.

"Well since no one's here to protect you anymore why don't you let me have a sip? I won't drain you, you're too sweet for that, I'd like to come back for seconds."

"No."

"No? And what makes you think you can stop me?" He grabs my wrist twisting my palm upwards. He sees the marks that Jonah left.

"Who's?"

"Jonahs."

"Cheated on him huh? No wonder he was pissed."

"I didn't cheat!"

"But you know what it means?" I nod. "You think I'm afraid that Jonah is going to kill me? He'd ruin his perfect streak."

I look around thinking I could call for help. All I see are families, kids that I could be putting in danger to save myself. "Can we at least go somewhere private so we don't make a scene. I need to hurry this up so I can get back to my brother."

"As you wish." He sweeps me up in his arms and dashes in between the nearest houses. He wastes no time putting me down. He moves my hair out of the way exposing my neck.

"Wait I don't want a scar there forever!" I say.

"You won't. Once you've been marked if another vampire bites you it makes no difference." He shrugs. His fingers trace down my neck and I can't help the shiver that rises from the base of my spine. "Do I scare you?"

"No I'm just impatient to get this over with." When Jonah bit me I hardly noticed the pain after the initial bite but I have a feeling Conrad isn't going to be so gentle.

"You're no fun." He groans. He leans in and I feel his hot breath on my neck. I close my eyes. A moment passes and I feel nothing. I open my eyes and glance towards Conrad. He's completely still and that's when I see the hand gripping his neck.

I turn completely to see Jonah. "Don't look." He whispers. I turn away but only for a moment. I look back in time to see Jonah shove his hand slowly into Conrad's chest cavity. Conrad's eyes go wide with fear then they close right before Jonah rips his heart from his chest.

Jonah tosses away the body and the bloodless heart to the side. "I told you not to look."

"And I didn't listen." I say finally looking away from Conrad's still body. "Is he dead?"

"Not that he wasn't before, but yes. He won't bother you anymore. I was getting sick of his close calls with you." Jonah sighs "You need to get back to Jamie."

All I can do is nod. I turn around and head back to Jamie who's at the first house in the circle. The scene happened so fast and I hadn't even realized it. I race up to him and he beams showing me his bag full of candy. "You about done?"

"A couple more houses please?" He begs and I laugh nodding in agreement.

We head home and I help him sort his candy before we go to bed. When I finally make it up to my room I collapse onto my bed with a groan. "I never got to say that I loved your costume." I turn over not surprised by Jonahs presence.

I continue staring at my ceiling, "doesn't beat the real thing."

He sits down on the bed next to me, "I didn't mean to scare you tonight."

"I thought you had a no kill rule?" I ask ignoring his apology.

"I do, but it's for humans. I don't care to kill a vampire especially if they're pissing me off."

"So why care? Why let them piss you off? Why not just let him drink from me like the walking blood bank I am?"

''Because you're my friend.'' He says. I glance at him and see that his face has softened. 

''But why bother, I'll grow old while you don't age a day. Why make friends with people who you'll have to watch die?'' 

''Can I not pretend to be human?'' 

''Have you ever considered how it makes us feel?'' 

''So you don't want to be my friend?'' 

''Not if it means I have to lose you.'' I whisper but I know he heard me just fine. 

''Ann look at me.'' I sit up looking at him. His forehead is creased into worried lines. ''You're not going to lose me, Grayson only said the things he did because he's hurting.'' 

''So why did he leave?'' I'm struggling to keep my voice steady. 

''He was worried he couldn't keep you safe.'' He sighs. ''He still cares about you. Do you still care for him?'' 

''Of course I do.'' I say confused. ''Why wouldn't I?'' 

''I don't know.'' He looks suddenly distant like his mind is somewhere else.

''Did something happen between you and Cynthia?'' Its the only thing I could think of that would bother him. 

''We broke up, I broke up with her. Same reasoning as Grayson except she doesn't know about me so it was harder to explain.''I think back to the day Grayson broke up with me, she had been in his room but that doesn't mean anything. 

''I'm so sorry.'' I move and hug him. He leans into my shoulder. I remove my arms so he can move but he doesn't. ''You okay?'' 

''Yeah just trying to detox.'' 

''Detox?'' 

''Yeah so it's easier to be in closer proximity with you. Cynthia it was easy, only took a month or so. You're going to be a tad harder.'' He mumbles into my shoulder. 

I smile, ''I thought we weren't going to be friends?'' 

''That's what you wanted. You never asked what I wanted.'' 

''Ann?'' my dads at the door. Jonah is out of my window before I can blink. 

''Come in.'' I say. 

''Am I interrupting something?'' he asks even though I'm alone.

''Not at all.'' I smile to reassure him. 

''I just wanted to check on you and I know break ups can be hard.'' He says its already been about a week but he's been checking on me frequently. 

''I'm okay dad, thanks.'' 

''Okay.'' Is all he says before closing the door behind him. 

Knowing he won't come back after that I decide I need a break from my room.