Alone Chapter 16

Ann, October 25th, 7 am:  ''Hey dad I don't feel well, can I stay home?'' 

''Sure sweetie I'll write you a note for tomorrow when I get home later. Please make sure Jamie gets on the bus.'' He's been trying to be better more involved with mine and Jamie's lives. Though I'm not sure if this is he best time for a personality change.

''I will your lunch is in the fridge. Jamie's has his name on it so grab the right one please.'' He kisses the top of my head.

''Thank you!'' He grabs his lunch out of the fridge and heads out of the door. I collapse onto the couch. I've never lied about being sick so he had no reason to question it, in reality I'm just really tired. After staying up most of the night with Jonah I really didn't want to go to school. Nor did I want to see Grayson.

I'm not mad anymore about the deal I guess but I'm sure he's still mad about Jonah biting me. I decided that I'm going to text him to come over once school is over. I wait and make sure Jamie gets on the bus then I go up to my room. Today feels like a painting day. I turn on my painting playlist, yes I have a playlist for everything. I set up my easel with a blanket under it in case my paint drips.

I do a collage, I paint fangs and red splatters the canvas. There's a lot of black too. I draw a broken heart or two. Those are both black though I'm not sure who's they are.

When I finish I have about an hour before school let's out. I wash my arms off that always seem to get covered in paint and I go downstairs. I text Grayson asking him to come over. He responds with an okay. I sigh with relief that he actually agreed to see me.

I hear his car pull up front and I wait for him to knock on the door. I open it and he's frowning. "I'm sorry." Is the first thing that he says.

"I'm not mad about the deal. I just don't want you to be mad at Jonah."

"Too late for that." He says walking in.

"It's not his fault I made him."

"You didn't make him do shit. He knew what he was doing."

"He wasn't in control." I don't know why I'm defending him so much.

"Ann, it doesn't matter. I can't be with you anymore."

My heart shatters, "Jonah said you could. He said he'd let you it didn't matter. I'm not affected by the mark as long as I'm not changed." I sigh. "He said you loved me."

"I do love you, but I don't want to be able to love you just because I have his permission." He grinds his teeth together.

"Grayson please, I want to be with you."

"Ann in the long run it wouldn't have mattered anyways. I'm immortal and you're not. You'd grow old and I'd have to watch you die because I'd never be okay with you living the life I have. Please understand I'm doing this for you too."

"How can you be doing this for me when it's not what I want?!" He started towards the door. "Don't you dare walk away from me! Grayson I am yours and I don't want to be anyone else's."

"Ann, find someone who can make you happy and grow old with you."

"You're being ridiculous." I say.

"No I'm looking out for your safety. Stay away from Jonah too. I don't care that he's older than I am that doesn't mean he has more control. A vampire is still a vampire. I don't know what I would do if something happened to you." He sighs walking out of the door closing it behind him.

I don't even bother walking over to the couch. I slump to the floor my hair sticks to the wet parts of my face where the tears leave trails.

I know he can still hear me until I hear his engine rev as he pulls away. I don't care, he knows he hurt me. When Jamie gets home he tells me about his day and I put on a smile for him. When he finally goes up to his room my face hurts.

I go to mine too closing the door behind me. I just lost one of my two friends and I was told to stay away from the other one.

I look to my window to see Jonahs is open as well. I walked over to talk to him having no doubt he heard everything that happened downstairs. I stop when I see another figure on the bed. I sigh closing my curtains. I sit alone in my room watching YouTube to pass the time.

Ann, October 31st, 6pm: Halloween what would usually be my favorite day of the year is my worst nightmare. Jamie decided to dress up as a vampire and wouldn't go trick or treating unless I went too. He even got out our old costumes with realistic looking vampire teeth. Though after seeing the real thing I don't know how realistic these are anymore.

"Ann come on! There's a bunch of people already out!" I'm fixing my hair into a braid. The teeth are already in and I'm wearing a black and red gothic dress. Jamie is in the classic dracula outfit, cape and all.

"Hold on I have to finish my makeup!" I finish adding paint to my skin to make it look white. When I finish I'm downstairs looking out the window with Jamie. I'm only going because I don't want him to miss out.

"Don't forget your bag! Have fun and watch your brother." My dad finishes looking at me.

"Of course." I say and Jamie drags me out of the house.

We were walking down the sidewalk when I feel a tap on my shoulder. I thought it was Jonah maybe even Grayson but who I saw made me freeze in my tracks.