Night Chapter 7

Ann, September 7th, 8:44 pm: After Grayson left I knew I couldn't go home. I didn't want to be anywhere near people let alone know that Jonah was only sleeping a few feet away.

I found myself standing in the water. Part of me wanted to just float away. I don't get it. Why does Jonah have power over Grayson it's like slavery. I sigh.

"We really should stop meeting like this." I turn around to see the blond boy from the store. He's alone this time. So that wasn't a dream.

"Where's your posse?" I ask. I look up and down the beach. Its dark and there's no one out besides at the pier. They'd never even hear me scream.

"Not here. I want you and I'm getting impatient. Why don't you come here and make this easier on the both of us?" He smirks.

"And if I decline?"

"Then I might have to mess up your pretty face." He starts towards me and I go deeper into the water. I'm trapped once again.

Jonah a couple of hours ago:

"Where have you been?" I ask Grayson when he finally arrives.

"I-" he doesn't say another word. Her scent hits me and my muscles tighten.

"Her smell is all over you and you expected me not to notice?" I grab the front of his shirt to bring him closer to me.

Her smell is overwhelming, intoxicating my mind struggling to focus. I shake my head. "What did I tell you?"

"Why do you get to make the decisions?"

"Because you're new and don't know shit yet. Where did you see her?"

"On the beach."

Shit. I drop him and bolt. I make it to the beach and the scene I feared unfolds before me. "Conrad!" I shout and he spins around with a vicious grin on his face. He moves first but I'm not far behind.

Ann, 9:05 pm:
"Conrad!" Jonah ran up the beach behind the blond kid who has now been established as Conrad.

Conrad looks at him and turns back to me. He moves so fast I can't see him. His hand is holding down my shoulder and the other is moving my hair away. "Grayson may listen to you but you can't boss me around. I'm tired of you being a stuck up, I'm almost the same age as you. It's time I get a taste of that fortune."

"No!" Jonah yelled and slammed his body into Conrad's. They were a blur in the water. I scrambled for land and tripped on the solid wet sand. I spin around to watch the scene in front of me. They move from the water to the shore with blinding speed. I'm only able to keep them apart by the flashes of blond from Conrad's hair. 

I run while they're distracted. I grab my stuff this time, wondering how I got it back in the first place. I shake the thought from my head. I reach a big hill and but down my skateboard. I pick up speed and make it down the hill in double time. I'm just a block away from my house. I slow to a jog so I'm not too out of breath when I get inside. 

I close the front door behind me and slump against it. ''Where have you been?'' My dad is sitting at the counter glass in hand. 

''I was at the beach sorry.'' I automatically respond. 

''I meant during school.'' 

''Same answer.'' 

''What makes you think it's okay to just skip school like that?'' 

''Don't act like you didn't do it too.'' I shoot back. 

''That doesn't make it okay. Go to your room and give me your phone.'' He holds out his hand. 

I don't want to come anywhere near him and smell the alcohol on his breath. I throw my phone onto the couch and go upstairs. I don't slam the door but close it softly. I put my skateboard back in it's regular place and collapse against the side of my bed. The hard wood is cold on my sweating body. 

I don't know what I just saw. They were so fast and where they slammed each other in the sand craters were formed. How is that possible? There's a tap at my window and I look up. Jonah is leaning way out of his window. He motions for me to open it. I shake my head. As much as I want an explanation I'm much more afraid. ''Dammit Ann open the window.'' I hear his muffled yell. I get up and undo the locks. I slide it open. ''Step back.'' 

I back up until my legs are against my bed. He leaps from his window into mine. I want to scream but I'm frozen. I didn't know if I was scared for or of him. ''Ann.'' Is all he says as he walks towards me. 

I can't back up anymore so I sit down on my bed. ''What the hell are you?'' Is all I can say. 

''Just forget what you saw at the beach. You had a peaceful night and then came home.'' 

''What the fuck are you saying? What are  you?'' I ask again. 

He sighs and mumbles something under his breath. ''I can't tell you but you're welcome to take your best guess.'' Even when I feel terrified to my core he's still cracking jokes. 

''I- I don't know why can't you tell me? What if I just pretend to not know? I won't tell anyone. After I saw what you did to Grayson, I wouldn't want to piss you off. Unless I already have.'' 

He doesn't answer my question, ''You understand that if you tell anyone I'll have to kill you.'' 

''Is Grayson like you?'' 

''Yes.'' 

''So you're strong and fast.'' I state them as fact because I've witnessed it. 

''Yes.'' He sits down next to me. I don't move. 

''Can you fly?'' 

He laughs, ''No.'' 

''Can you tell me anything else?'' I ask. 

''Not without telling you what we are.'' 

''So does this mean Grayson can talk to me again?'' 

His face grows stern, ''No.'' 

''Why not?'' 

''Because I said so.'' 

''No why, I'm getting really sick of people telling me no today!'' I say a little loudly. 

''He's not safe for you!'' He says back then adds, ''For anyone, not yet.'' 

''Grayson would never hurt me.'' I defend my friend. 

''He wouldn't want to. Doesn't mean he won't. Just make new friends.'' 

''Now that's something you wouldn't understand.'' I sigh. 

''Look sit with us at lunch but that's it. Don't talk to him otherwise unless I'm there.'' He gets up to leave the way he came. 

''Wait one more thing.'' He turns back around. ''Why me? Why did you tell him to stay away from me?'' 

''Your scent.'' Is all he says before going back into his room and closing the curtains.