Fight Chapter 6

Ann, August 24th 7:35 am: Jonah didn't speak to me in first period the entire week. He wouldn't even look in my direction not that he did before. I bought curtains earlier this week so I hardly see him anyways. I finally finished my garden so I have somewhere outside to sit and relax. 

But the best part of my week is the fact that Grayson has continued sitting with me. It's Wednesday, I walk into first period deciding that I'm just going to talk to Jonah. He was so nice at the market. I want to understand what changed. I walk into first and his seat is empty. The bell rings and I continue to stare at the door expectantly. I was about to give up when I hear shouting from the hallway.

Mr. Downs is already heading for the door. I'm hot on his heels beating the kids in the first row. Something told me I needed to see this. I step into the hallway to find two boys grappling each other. I recognize Grayson's sandy hair on the bottom and Jonah is on top of him. Mr. Downs moves the fastest I've ever seen that older man move. He rips Jonah off of Grayson. I beat the other teachers to Grayson. His face is swollen and his eyes dazed. I took his hand in mine minding the bloody knuckles. ''Grayson can you hear me?'' He gives a weak nod and I sigh with relief.

The teachers take my position forcing me back. Mr. Downs is still holding Jonah back how the old man is strong enough to do so I have no idea. Jonah tears from his grasp. ''I told you to stay away from her.'' Jonah growls and stomps off.

Grayson just stared numbly at the ceiling above him. A couple of students had brought the nurse and everyone was ordered back to class. Jonah wasn't in class so I guessed he must have gone to the office. I sat alone at lunch seeing as Grayson was in the nurses office.

The next day I saw Grayson walking towards me at lunch. He looked like he healed quickly, I smiled at him but he didn't look at me. He sat at Jonah's table and joined in the conversation there. I turned back around with a scowl. Well, I thought I had one friend at least, guess that wasn't true. I put in my ear buds and used my hoodie sleeve to wipe away the tears that rolled down my face. For once I was thankful that I'm invisible.

Ann, September 7th, 7:55 am: After another two weeks I can't take it any longer. I wait outside of my first period. I'm going to confront Jonah, Grayson has had no trouble talking to Cynthia since he fought with Jonah so he must've been talking about me. I haven't seen Grayson hanging around any other girls, well at least I hope not. It's a little selfish to think I'm the only girl he could be talking to but still. The bell rings and I wait a few extra minutes. Jonah rounds the corner and tries to walk right past me into the class. ''Hey.''

He gives a nod.

''Why did you tell Grayson to stay away from me?'' I spit it out.

''I don't know what you're talking about.'' He shrugs with a sigh. He seems very uninterested in our conversation but I don't care.

''You told him at the fight that 'you said to stay away from her.' Since then he hasn't sat with me let alone spoken a word to me.''

''So it's some how my fault? How do you know you're not the one who fucked it up?'' I stutter not knowing what to say. ''Think on that and don't get back to me. Now I'm late to class so if you'll excuse me.''

''I was just about to mark you absent.'' Mr. Downs says to Jonah.

''Not me but Ann isn't here.'' I huff and was about to barge in but stopped. I don't have to be here. Clearly no one wants me here so why stay? I go to my locker grab my skateboard and leave. No one stops me because I exit the side doors that is next to one of my later classes. I put in my earbuds and go to the only place I know will make me feel better.

When my toes finally hit the hot sand I let the burn numb not only my feet but my mind. I don't want to think about anything else. I sit down against a dune and lay my head in my knees. I've kept it together for so long, isn't it right that I should get a break?

The peace lasts a few hours. Glad that my dad doesn't have his phone out at work. He keeps it on silent but he'll probably scold me when he gets off later. I'm sure the school called to report my absence. No one spoke to me as I rested my head in my knees feeling the sweat trickle down my back. "Are you okay?" I hear someone ask.

I give a nod not looking up. "Look I'm sorry." I look up and see Grayson. I can't help it, I get up and hug him. He squeezes me to his chest. "God I am so so sorry."

I pull away from him to look at his blue eyes. "Why?"

He bites his lip taking a step back from me. "That doesn't matter."

"Yes it does. I want to know!" I stand my foot like a child into the sand.

"Jonah told me to stay away from you. When I didn't listen- well you saw what happened."

"Why?" He shakes his head. "Why?" I demand.

"I don't know!" He sighs. "I just don't know. But I couldn't stay away any longer I knew you were miserable and I'll be damned if I let that continue."

I look up at him. His face is stoic and I take a step towards him. I take his hands in mine. "Why are you afraid of him? You're just as strong as he is. He didn't leave that fight without a scratch either." Jonah's eye was black and claw marks were across his cheek.

"You wouldn't understand, I'm sorry."

"Then let me understand." I let my hand find his cheek. He leans into it closing his eyes.

"I can't."

"Why not?" I'm confused now. "He can't call dibs on me. I'm not his and I never will be. Grayson, I want to be yours." I hadn't realized the meaning of my words until they were spoken. But I meant them.

His absence made me realize how much he actually meant to me in those couple of weeks we had spent together. I'm a rational thinker but something about Grayson makes me want to take risks and do what I want right now. He looks at me eyes wide. I'm afraid to speak but his lips slip into a smile. His hand cups my chin tilting it towards him. Our lips connect, they're soft and tender against my own. He pulls away. "We can't." He lets his hand fall.

"What?"

"I'm sorry, the only way- nevermind."

"What is it? Please, you can't let Jonah boss you around."

"I have to. Look I need to go. I just wanted to apologize." He turns to leave but I grab his hand.

"No. Let me understand."

"I'm sorry Ann I just can't okay." He tore from my grip. I stood there motionless.