Talents Chapter 9

Ann, September 9th, 3 pm: 

"I don't want to bring it up at school so I guess now is as good a time as ever.'' Grayson says. We're walking around town after school. We decided to ignore Jonah's only see each other at lunch rule and I couldn't be happier that we did. 

''What's up?'' I don't know why but I'm afraid that he'll ask me what Jonah and I did last night. After he did his suicide jump he took me home so in other words nothing. It just felt slightly wrong being with him alone when Grayson and I are- wait what are we? 

''I know Jonah talked to you about what we are. What did he say?'' 

''Um well it was more like showed me.'' I explained the events from last night despite my previous doubts. 

''Then have you made any guesses?'' he shoves his hands in his pockets. I smile at his sudden shyness. 

I laugh and hold out my hand. With a smile he slips his hand into mine interlocking our fingers. ''Not out loud no, I don't think you'd want to hear them.'' 

''Well now I'm really curious.'' 

I laugh, ''Okay well, I was going to say werewolves but it was a full moon last night and Jonah didn't go all hairy on me.'' 

Grayson laughs doubling over clutching his gut. ''Okay next.'' He says in between laughs. 

''Warlocks, using spells for speed and strength but there's no theatrics to it.'' 

''Nope keep going.'' We pass a couple and I wait until they're out of ear shot. 

''Then there's the obvious one but I can't imagine you-'' 

''What?'' His voice made it sound like a challenge. 

''You'd- hurt people.'' 

''And what if I did?'' 

''It wouldn't matter.'' 

''That's not true, what do you think I am?'' 

''A vampire, but I don't think you had a choice in the matter.'' I quickly add onto it. 

''I didn't you're right about that. Jonah made the choice for me.'' 

''How did you- ya know become-'' I raise my eyebrows not wanting to repeat the word. 

''Let's skip the how for now and move onto the why. Vampires have the ability to make people forget. We feed and erase, no harm done.'' He pauses when he sees my face. ''Well minimum harm done. But there are some who's minds can't be erased. Those you either kill or turn. As you can guess my mind wouldn't erase so Jonah chose to turn me. He won't say but I don't think he's ever killed anyone.'' 

''Why couldn't he erase your mind?'' I ask. 

''We don't know, there's no connection that we've found.'' 

''So did he try to erase my mind?'' Grayson grows serious and just nods his head. ''So why he hasn't killed or turned me yet?'' 

''I'm really not sure but I'm glad he didn't.'' He squeezes my hand and I can't help but laugh. He notices my smile fade, ''What is this too much, we don't have to talk about that. I understand if you don't want to be around me.'' 

''No I want to be with you, I just- Jonah said you were dangerous is it because of my scent?'' 

Grayson just nods. ''Wouldn't that make him dangerous too?'' 

''Well the thing with Jonah is, he's never thirsty. He won't share how he does it so he's not really a danger to humans. Myself only being about two years old, scents as strong as yours can be quite enticing.'' 

''Is that why you sat with me?'' 

''That and you're beautiful. I was going to snatch and erase that night at the skating rink but I got to know you and the thought of hurting you just repulsed me. Sorry if that's a bit too forward.'' 

''Not at all.'' I'm glad he's being honest with me. I want him to be able to be himself. While I'm on that subject. ''So, can I ask a question?'' 

''Sure.'' 

''What are we.'' I lift up our interlocked hands for emphasis. 

''You did say you wanted to me mine and I'm one hundred percent okay with that.'' 

I smile, ''Me too but I need to know what the limits are. The um-'' I pause looking for the correct wording. ''-kiss the other day was that too much?'' 

''It was hard but not too much, we should definitely take it slow though.'' I nod in response. 

Grayson takes me home piggyback style, going as fast as Jonah did last night when we're out of sight from other people. He can hold me close if he holds his breath so we just can't be too close when we're around other people otherwise they might question why he's not breathing. 

That night I walk over to my window to close my curtains when I see something stretched between Jonah and my window. ''Jonah, what is this?'' I whisper knowing he can hear me even with the window closed. 

I look down at the wooden plank that's been nailed to both of our windows. ''So you can come over human style.'' He says opening his window. 

''Why would I need to come over?'' I lean out onto the board. It's solid as I place my elbows on it to balance my head between my palms. 

''Dunno,'' he shrugs. ''In case you ever need to get somewhere fast.'' He waves a hand motioning me to follow him. He moves out of the way as I give a sigh climbing out onto the board. I quickly crawl across without looking down. 

I hop into his room landing on my tip toes. He smiles, ''Welcome.'' I look around his room though I've already seen most of this side. I turn around to look at the side that I haven't seen. This wall is decorated in posters. Movies and tv shows. ''Top Gun?'' I ask looking at the movie cover spread over his wall. 

''Goose and Maverick.'' He shrugs. I laugh remembering a Jon Bellion song that mentions this movie. 

''So hobbies include hockey and movies.'' 

''You make me sound so bland.'' 

I laugh, ''Don't mean to, guess the other half is fucking Cynthia.'' I tease and his face grows serious. 

''Sure.'' 

''Did you guys break up?'' That's the best guess I have. 

''No, it's just that because I am what I am, it's hard to do anything like that. With humans anyways. I'm sure Grayson already explained that to you.'' 

I nod, ''He also said it's easier for you. Why?'' 

''Why do you think I'd tell you if I haven't told anyone else?'' 

''I- I don't know.'' 

''Sure you may be the only human to know about us right now but that doesn't make you special. All it does is put you in danger and anyone else that you tell.'' 

''I already said that I won't tell anyone.'' I defend myself. 

''I know what you said.'' 

The conversation ended not long after that.