Skate Chapter 5

Ann, August 12th, 8 pm: ''Where are you going?'' My dad asks again. 

''I'm going skating with my friend.'' I say pulling on my sweatshirt. 

''Can I meet this friend?'' He presses. He doesn't really care he just wants to seem like he does. 

''No dad I got to go, love you.'' I say as I walk out the door. I spot Grayson sitting in a white mustang in front of my house. He waves at me as I walk towards the car. ''Love the car!'' I say as I climb in. 

''Thanks.'' He says and makes a u-turn on my street. I grip the sides of the seat. He looks down at my hands and laughs. ''I like to go fast, is that alright?'' 

All I can do is nod with gritted teeth. His blond hair blows in the wind and the street lights reflect off of his white teeth. A song I actually know comes over the radio, ''You mind turning this up?'' 

''Not at all.'' He cranks it up until the car is vibrating. I asked partly so I could sing along without him hearing and the other so that we didn't have to talk. At lunch it's easier because I can just eat so I don't have to talk. I'm just so worried to say something wrong. 

When we get to the skating rink there are no cars in the parking lot and all of the lights are off. He pulls around to the back of the building. ''We can go in this way.'' He shuts off the car and gets out. I look down to get my phone and when I look back up he already has my door open. 

''Dang that was fast, I mean thank you.'' I say stepping out. 

''No problem.'' He walks up steps that are attached to the side of the building. He produces a key from his pocket and holds the door open once it's unlocked. It's dark inside but he quickly switches on the lights. We're in the locker rooms. He grabs a bag out of one of the lockers and leads me out into the main hallway. He hops over the desk to grab some skates. ''What size are you?'' 

''Seven.'' I say. He searches the shelves and returns with some skates. 

He sits down on the bench next to me producing a pair of skates from the bag. I put mine on and he helps me tighten them at the end. He puts his on much quicker than I had. He stands up holding out his hand for me to follow. I take it and stand up. I wobble and fall into him. He pushes me away from him holding me up with his hands until I'm stable. ''Sorry.'' I say. 

''All good.'' He walks over to a jukebox and presses play after popping in a coin. He looks a tad tense standing over the machine but his shoulders ease when he turns back around. 

''I don't hear any music.'' I say. 

''You will.'' He switches on the light switch from behind the skate counter. Lights come on in the rink. He holds open the door and music comes pouring out. ''Now best advice I can ever give you, don't touch the rail.'' 

''But how am I supposed to balance?'' I question staring at the ice a couple of inches from my toes. 

''Hold onto me until you can move on your own. If you use the rail you'll never get off of it.'' 

''You talk about it like it's a drug.'' I joke and he laughs. 

''Come on.'' He goes out onto the ice and holds out his hand. I take a deep breath letting the frosty air fill my lungs. I step onto the ice one skate at a time. I immediately reach for his arms grasping them at his elbows. ''Okay there you go. Now let me show you what to do, can you stand?'' 

I nod. He smiles and lets go. He goes over how to move my feet. I start out stepping and he has to catch me before I go backward. Once I've got the movement down he grabs my hands again. ''Now I'm going to pull you, don't be scared.'' He stands to my side and starts skating. I stumble along doing pretty well. He cheers me on. ''You'll be a pro in no time.'' We both laugh causing me to lose concentration. I slip and fall into him. He wasn't ready for it either and we both crash onto the ice. I laugh from my spot on top of him until I see how close our faces are. 

His is serious like he's concentrating. I can see mine is confused in the reflection displayed in the whites of his eyes. ''Are you okay?'' He breathes out. 

''Yeah are you?'' I push myself off of him. 

He nods holding his side for only a moment before he places a hand across his jaw and mouth. ''Did I hit you? Oh my gosh I'm so sorry.'' 

He holds it there for a moment longer then sighs. ''No it's fine. Not the first time I've been knocked in the face.'' He grins and I find myself returning the smile. We skate around for a while. Until I'm finally able to move around on my own. Of course no where near the speed he can. ''You want so hot cocoa before we go?'' 

''Sure.'' I walk out of the rink with him and he goes behind the counter. I sit at one of the little bar stools positioned to one side of the counter. He walks around the kitchen like it's his own. I imagine that's what I look like when I cook but he seems so much more deft than I could ever be. I smile when he hands me my drink. 

''Your mocha beverage, mademoiselle.'' He says in a fake French accent. I laugh and take a sip. It's piping hot and burns my tongue but it feels good. 

''You can make something for yourself too.'' I say. 

''I'm not thirsty.'' He says leaning over the counter. I look away feeling my cheeks turning red. Why am I blushing? 

When I finish my drink he takes me home. We go the long way around and he pops open the sun roof. ''You know you want to. There's no cops for miles.'' I unbuckle my seat belt without a second thought. I balance my feet on the seat and the center console. The warm wind whips at my face and hair. I let my hair out of it's pony tail letting it fly free. I yell into the open sky and laugh as my voice disappears behind me. 

After a while I could feel my contacts drying in my eyes so I climbed back into the car and sang along to the radio the rest of the way home.