Hockey Chapter 10

Ann, October 14th, 4 pm: Hockey season started almost a couple of weeks ago and today is the first game. Grayson and I have been together about a month now not exactly sure when that started either. All I know is he gave me his away jersey to wear to the home game.

I'm in my room dancing around to my playlist getting ready. I've never been excited for a sports game so it's a strange feeling. I'm wearing a black long sleeve shirt under the jersey that says Feld on the back. I smile looking at my reflection in the mirror. I've got on ripped jeans with tights underneath for a little extra warmth. I put in my contacts followed by makeup. I pack my purse with my wallet and a pair of gloves just in case.

"What time is it over?" My dad asks me when I come downstairs.

"I'm not sure it's my first one but I'll text you when I get there and when it's almost over." I've been doing research so I at least understand what's going on during the game.

"Okay, I'll be working late but I might beat you home." He says.

"Okay, bye!" I had to leave now because my ride is out front. Grayson is in his mustang as usual. He's been taking me to and from school so it's not an unusual sight.

"You pull that off better than I do." He says looking at his huge jersey dangling from my body.

"I'm sure it fits you better though."

He shrugs, ''Naturally.'' He pulls out of our neighborhood and to the skating rink. He's taken me several times since our first skating lesson. I've gotten pretty decent. 

I take it back. These guys are amazing at skating. Grayson is the goalie and Jonah is in the front or a forward as google explained. I could hardly recognize Grayson in all his padding. 

Jonah's last name, Stone, printed on his back was the only way I was able to tell him apart from the other players. 

Every time Grayson deflected a shot I'd cheer along with the other people supporting their team. ''I see you're here for our goalie.'' I turn around to look at the girl who spoke. She looks to be about my age. 

''Oh yeah Grayson.'' 

''I'm Layla, my dad is the coach.'' She points to a burly man with white hair across the ice. 

''I'm Ann.'' I smile at her as she moves to sit next to me. 

''This your first game?'' 

''Yeah, it's been super exciting though.'' 

''Just wait till a fight breaks out.'' 

We didn't have to wait long. One of the guys on the other team shoved one of our players. Our player in return shoved him back against the wall. Both players were torn apart before punches were thrown and ushered off the ice. 

''So are you and Grayson together?'' Layla asked me during a break. 

''Yeah I just moved here this year, you've known him long?'' 

''Yeah since we were kids my dads been a coach for a long time. Grayson started playing when he was ten.'' 

''That's awesome, maybe we could all hangout sometime.'' I suggest.

''Sure.'' She smiles. 

There wasn't another fight until there were only two minutes left in the game. Grayson was in the goal again and Jonah was playing forward. One of their player's helmet was knocked off. After than an elbow was thrown and blood started pouring from the players nose dripping onto the ice. 

They stop the game, Grayson and Jonah are the first ones off the ice, moving as fast as they can to get away from the blood. Our team was up three points so when they went back on the ice it all went very fast. The other team scored first but we followed with our own shot shortly. 

The boys celebrated on the ice but Grayson came out of a side door shortly after. He gathered me into his heavily padded arms. ''That was amazing!'' I said as he set me down. 

''Thanks! The guys are going to celebrate you coming?''

''Where are we going?'' Thank goodness it's a Friday because I would not do this on a school night. 

''We're going to Jordan's house, his parents aren't home and coach doesn't know.'' Jordan sits with us at lunch so at least I know who it is. 

''Speaking of, I talked to Layla she seems really cool.'' 

''Oh yeah shes fine.'' He shrugs. ''I gotta go change meet you outside the locker rooms?'' 

I nod and he kisses my forehead before leaving. I see Jonah and give him a smile but he just looks away. He looks frustrated. I'll just talk to him about it later. We've been sitting out on the board between our windows talking almost every night. 

I sit on the benches next to the locker rooms. Grayson comes out with his hockey bag after a couple of minutes. ''Jordan already left but I have to pick up drinks.'' 

''Like sodas?'' 

''Sure.'' He smirks and I just shake my head. He grabs my hand as leave the building. ''I'm guessing you've never gotten drunk then?'' 

''Nope, you?'' 

''Doesn't really work on me.'' 

''Because you're-'' I still don't want to say it. Though I've gotten to learn a lot about his abilities 

''Yes.'' Is all he says. ''Ya know it makes it easier to dress up for Halloween.'' 

''You wouldn't.'' 

''Hell yeah, only if you dress up with me.'' 

I laugh, ''Could you ever maybe show me your-'' I poke my own teeth. 

''No. They only show when I'm, well you know. I couldn't do that around you without a chance of you getting hurt.'' 

''Is that why you and Jonah had to go off the ice earlier when the guys nose started bleeding?'' 

He nods, ''We have to get new mouth guards regularly. Fangs are sharp, if you want to call them that.'' 

I laugh and we get into the car driving to the store.