Lunch Chapter 8

Ann, September 8th, 12:34 pm: ''He said that?'' Grayson questions me as we stand in line for our lunches. I told him that Jonah said that I could sit with them. Not that I needed his permission.

''He did, so do you mind if I sit next to you?'' I ask. 

''Not at all.'' He gives me a smile. I keep looking at him remembering our kiss. Did it mean to him what it meant to me? Does he know that I know he's not well... human? At least I don't think he is. I follow him to the table and sit down after he does. No one pays me any mind. I mostly just eat and listen to their conversations. Cynthia eyes me then looks at Grayson. ''Did you finally get a girlfriend Feld?'' She teases him. 

''Did you finally get that stick out of your ass?" She gives him a stern look. "Doesn't look like it, guess you better keep digging."  Wasn't the best come back but better than what I would have come up with. I pretend not to notice that Grayson didn't deny Cynthia's claim.

She turns to me seeing she's lost his interest. ''What's your name?''

''Ann.'' I say and take a sip of my milk from the carton. She wrinkles her nose. She looks like she's never had a school lunch in her life and the thought of that makes me laugh. 

''Okay Ann why are you here? You don't even talk.'' I have one class with this girl and all she does is talk. Quite frankly it annoys the hell out of me. 

''I've only been at this table five minutes and you haven't shut your mouth to give me the chance.'' Grayson chokes on his milk and the others at the table just look between Cynthia and myself. 

''Let it go Cynthia.'' Jonah says sounding bored of our quarrel. He smirks at my come back though.

She turns to her friends but not before shooting daggers in my direction. "I don't think it's a stick. Has to be a metal rod." I whisper to Grayson he suppresses a laugh. His hand finds mine and gives it a squeeze. I squeeze back. He releases it so we can finish eating. I take our trays and throw them away and when I return he holds my hand using his thumb to stroke the back of it.

The feeling sends goosebumps up my arm. He smiles and I hope it's because of me.

Jonah, 11 pm:

"You told her?" Grayson whispers. Though we're alone at the moment we never know who's listening.

"No. I told her to guess. It was quite entertaining if I'm being honest." I smile thinking about her, well her guesses anyways.

"Does she know that I-" Grayson nervously asks.

"She knows you're like me but nothing else. You can't tell her, you have to let her figure it out, if she ever does."

"Now that she knows do you still have dibs on her?"

I sigh, "Yes, but I'll make you a deal."

"I'm listening."

Ann, September 9th, 12:36 am:

I had my earbuds in facing the head of my bed so I didn't hear him enter. I felt my bed move and I flip over thinking it was my cat. I almost screamed when I saw Jonah. He placed a hand over his mouth. That's when I remembered my cat is with my mom.

"You scared the shit out of me." I say shutting off my music.

"Sorry your window was unlocked."

"What do you want?" I didn't want to be polite after his bitch of a girlfriend chewed me out at lunch.

"I want to show you something." He stands up and holds out his hand.

"It's twelve am don't you need sleep?" I ask him.

"Nope."

"I need sleep then." I scrambled for an excuse.

"Oh come on." He grabs my hand. "Do you trust me?"

"Why the hell should I?"

"I'll take that as a yes." He climbs out the window hanging by the lip. "Climb on my back."

"No way."

"Don't be a scaredy cat." He teases. "I won't let you fall I promise." I know I shouldn't but I'm letting my curiosity get the better of me. I carefully climb onto his back and he doesn't move an inch. "Lock your arms around my neck just don't choke me please." I do as I'm told. The second my arms cross around him we drop.

There wasn't enough time for me to scream. I land pressing my face into his shoulder. "We're on the ground now." I nod and he laughs. He pries my legs apart then my arms so I land on my feet. He turns around with a huge grin on his face. "Fun?"

"Never do that again." I say and he laughs harder. "Was that it?"

"Nope I've got more to show you. I never get to show off so here's my chance. It might even help you come up with some better guesses."

"Lovely."

"Alright piggy back ride?"

"Got nothing to lose at this point." I clamber back onto his back.

"Do you get car sick?"

"Um no?"

"Well you still might want to close your eyes."

I do as I'm told and not a moment later I feel the wind tearing the hair back from my face. I press my face into his shoulder to block the wind.

After a moment I look up partially and open my eyes. Everything is moving in a blur. My heart starts pounding out of my chest. Suddenly we stop. "Where are we?" I ask from my position on his back.

"One of my favorite places." I hop down off of his back to take in my surroundings. 

''A cliff?'' I ask as I look out over the sea. 

''You ever heard of cliff diving?'' Before I can answer he had his shirt removed. 

''You can't even see! You'll get hurt then I'm going to an accomplice to your suicide!'' 

''You  can't see but  can.'' He smirks. He removes his cargo shorts and I turn away. I hear his feet on the grass and a moment later I look over to see him diving off the cliff. I think he wanted me to hear him because I have a feeling he could be silent if he wanted to. I rush to the edge of the cliff and look over. There's nothing but black below me. I don't even hear a splash and now I have no way to get back because he's dead. 

I turn back around to see a dripping wet Jonah sitting in the grass. ''How did you-?'' 

''Swam to shore then jumped up. Water feels nice if you wanted to give it a try?'' 

I shake my head, ''Nope it was scary enough watching you.'' I sit down across from him and he leans back onto his hands. ''Am I not supposed to be this close?'' I ask already scooting back some. 

''No it just makes things difficult when it's unexpected.'' 

''Can I ask you something?'' I bite my lip hoping he couldn't see it.

''Sure.'' The only light is the moon and it's shining on his face. 

''Why are you being nice to me again? You've been- I don't know how to put this... bipolar.'' 

He let's out a huff of air. ''Well since you and Grayson want to be friends I figured I'd get well acquainted with you.'' 

''Really?'' I'm surprised by his answer. 

''That and I have to watch if you slip up and I have to kill you.'' He tacks a smile onto his face when he finishes. ''Does that scare you?'' 

''No why?'' My heart is pounding in my chest but I'm not sure if it's out of fear. 

''Because your heart race increased and you're fidgeting a lot.'' 

I look down at my hands which are tugging at the hem of my shirt. I rest them on my knees. ''No I'm not afraid. Should I be?'' 

''Yes.'' Is all he says.

He waits for me to say something but I'm not sure what to say. He makes me so nervous but not the way Conrad did but the way Grayson makes me nervous.