Late Night Chapter 18

Ann, November 1st, 12:34 am: ''Jonah?'' I hop down out of the window into his room. All that's on is the red lava lamp. Jonah is no where in sight so I decide to wait for him. I watch the red lamp realizing it reminds me of blood. Wonder if he thinks the same thing. 

''If I couldn't hear your heart beat or your breathing from the next room you would have scared the shit out of me.'' I turn around jumping at the sound of Jonah's voice. He's only wearing a towel around his waist and his mop of curls is drooped over his face. I stifle a laugh. ''What?'' 

''Nothing.'' I shrug. 

''You're a terrible liar.'' He smirks moving to his closet, keeping a secure hand around the hem of the towel. 

''Your hair, it's never looked better.'' I say . 

''How nice.'' He says laying clothes out onto the bed. ''Now I really do have to change so if you could.'' He waves for me to turn around and I do so. ''Done.'' He says not even a full second later. 

''I'm never going to get used to that.'' I shake my head eyeing the white tank top and dark shorts he put on.

He laughs, ''Why'd you come over?'' 

''Because we don't have school tomorrow and I'm bored.'' The teachers took the day as a planning day because of Halloween. 

''How can I entertain?'' He asks sitting on the bed, patting it for me to follow. I sit down thinking for a moment then answering his question. 

''Tell me about yourself, I feel like we're always talking around that subject.'' 

He groans, ''Fine, what do you want to know?'' 

''Start from the beginning.'' 

Jonah, November 1st, 12:47 am:

''I was born in 1910.''

''Wait so that would make you..'' she pauses doing the mental math. ''You're 111, that's crazy.'' 

I laugh at her reaction, ''Well my parents were middle class, we were comfortable until the great depression. I was around twelve. We ended up staying with some richer relatives in Kentucky.  My mom became a maid for them, working so we could stay. My dad worked in the coal mines. He was killed in an accident when I was fifteen. We continued to stay with the relatives since they were on my mom's side. When I was twenty three I got a place of my own.'' 

''Wait you skipped when you were turned. At eighteen right?'' She doesn't miss a thing. 

''You remembered I'm flattered.'' When she doesn't respond to my comment I sigh. ''When I was eighteen I had just graduated high school which had been funded by my relatives. I went to a party to celebrate. My cousin was there with me, he was the one I was staying with. We got along well enough but I always figured his parents were mistreating my mom. I'll come back to that, anyways at the party. I got a little drunk, the rich kids had stolen their parents best booze and well it was hard to resist.'' 

I pause to make sure she's still following. She's leaning forward with her head balanced in her hands. She sweeps the bangs out of her face nodding for me to continue. ''Well there was a girl.'' 

''Isn't there always.'' She sighs, ''Sorry please continue.'' 

I laugh before continuing, ''Well she brought me up to a bedroom where we were alone though I'm not sure why I agreed to go. She had made me lay on the bed and I thought she was going to kiss me. However she moved pass my lips straight to my neck. She had whispered to me not to scream.'' 

''She was controlling you?'' 

I nod, ''She drank my blood then told me too forget her and what happened.'' 

''Wait so how did you change. She didn't turn you because she didn't kill you.'' 

''But it was still her venom in my veins so I still blame her. I did die though, obviously.

She mumbles something but I was too deep in thought to hear it so I let it go. 

''I thought it would be a good idea to let my cousin drive home that night. He wasn't paying attention to the road too concerned with lighting his cigarette, he got it lit but hadn't realized he had swerved into the other lane and we had a head on collision. His side his the hardest and it instantly killed him. My side didn't hit completely so it sent me spinning off the road. I slammed into a tree bending the car in half. I managed to get my seat belt unbuckled but I didn't make it out of the car before it exploded.'' 

''Did it hurt?'' She asks. 

I lie, ''It all happened so fast I didn't feel a thing.'' The pain had been searing, the smell of gasoline had burned my nose and the cut from the seat belt that had dug deep into my neck. But I could never tell her that. ''I woke up in the hospital, my hair had been mostly burned off and when they had pulled me from the car they thought I was dead. But my heart was still pumping and they brought me to the hospital. I died in the hospital when I woke up again I was a vampire.''

''How did you pay for it?'' 

''Of course you would be worried about finances not the fact that I was on my death bed. We didn't, my relatives blamed me for their son's death and kicked us out. Guess it was a good thing since my uncle was fucking my mom and abusing her. I didn't know until we left and she finally told me about it.''

''My mom was in debt for that one hospital bill her entire life, which in turn, wasn't very long. When she turned fifty she got a very aggressive form of cancer. We couldn't pay for treatments so I had to watch her wither away. My job was never enough, it barely put food on the table. When she died, she willed everything she had to me. She had been saving up money my father had earned. That's what got me through.'' 

''So classic vampire story, after that you had to move around because you didn't age. You hypnotized random people into being your parents to enroll you in school.'' 

''Way to assume, but no. I found a coven and the leader is a teacher. He's responsible for our cover stories. I'm technically responsible for Grayson since I turned him but he won't need a new identity for a while.'' 

''What teacher?'' 

''Mr. Downs.'' I smirk seeing her surprised face. ''Inconspicuous right?'' 

She nods.

''Anymore questions?'' 

''Just one.''