Christmas Chapter 22

Ann, December 23rd 12pm: "Hey dad can Jonah come over Christmas morning?"

He stops reading his book from his chair in the living room. "Isn't Christmas kind of a family event?" Jonah has been over several times over the past couple of months, helping him study (that was me getting an early start on my plan with Mr. Downs) and just hanging out so he's no stranger.

"Exactly, his guardian is going to be out of town and he's going to be home alone. He doesn't know I'm asking but I thought it'd be nice to invite him at least to breakfast."

"Yeah he can come to breakfast, gives me a chance to wake up."

"Thank you so much!" I hug him and run up to my room. I throw open my window and call for Jonah, he doesn't respond so I crawl to his window. It's locked, guess he's not home. I go back to my room and wait. I hear the rumble of the Harley that I bought him and wait a couple of minutes for him to be in his room. ''Jonah!'' I call again. 

He throws open his window, ''What? What's wrong?'' His eyes scan the room behind me looking for the source of my distress. 

''Nothing, I just have a proposition for you.'' 

He relaxes, ''Well lets hear it.'' He leans against the window edge and I have to tear my eyes away from his biceps to continue the conversation. 

''Christmas morning, come have breakfast with my family and I. I told my dad your guardian would be out of town for Christmas and I didn't want you to be alone.'' 

''Ann, I usually stay with my coven since most of our families aren't alive anymore.'' 

''Oh come on, make an exception just this once! Plus you don't have to get me a gift.'' Though I hope he will since I bought him a bike. 

''Fine, make me swallow down nasty human food.'' 

''You'll be fine, I'm a great cook.''  

Ann, December 25th, 7 am: I wake up to an excited Jamie jumping on my bed. This is our first Christmas without mom but I guess that doesn't matter to him, Christmas is still Christmas. 

''Wake up! I wanna open gifts!'' 

''Alright, Alright I'm up. I'll meet you down there and go wake up dad.'' 

He hurries out of my room and doesn't try to be quiet on the stairs. ''Merry Christmas Jonah.'' I whisper into my room hoping he's home to hear me. 

I follow my brother downstairs getting more excited as I eye the heavily decorated tree that now has presents stacked under it. I start the coffee and pour myself a cup. When dad gets upstairs I already have his made and Jamie rushes into the living room for us to follow. ''Go ahead Jamie don't wait on us.'' My dad says. 

''Hey speak for yourself!'' I set down my coffee and sort out the gifts to the correct recipients. Jamie digs into each gift I give him and my dad tries his best to take pictures knowing my auntie, his sister, will be angry if he doesn't. 

I start opening mine as well. I get a couple of new posters and a neon sign that I had been looking at online. ''Dad I can't believe you got this! Thank you so much!'' It's in green and it says dream. I also get a new book I laugh when I see what it's about. ''A vampire romance?'' 

''I thought it looked interesting, sorry I haven't been keeping up with what you've been reading.'' My dad shrugs. 

''No it's perfect, right up my alley.'' I set it with my other things and start cleaning up. ''Can I go ahead and text Jonah?'' 

My dad nods. ''Wait Jonahs coming?!'' Jamie asks. 

''Yes, it's seven thirty in the morning please don't tire him out too much.'' I warn my little brother. He's been obsessed with Jonah since the first time I brought him over. I text Jonah that we're ready and he sends back an okay. 

I start on breakfast which is waffles, bacon and eggs. The door bell rings, ''I'll get it.'' I tell my dad who doesn't move from his spot on the island. I walk over and open the door to a smiling Jonah.

He fakes a shiver, even though its hardly cold enough for the theatrics, ''Merry Christmas to you too.'' He whispers and I blush as I step aside to let him in. ''Merry Christmas.'' He says loud for my dad to hear. 

''You too bud.'' My dad returns it. He's as nice as he can be to any guy that I bring over, friend or not. 

As if on cue Jamie runs down the steps, ''Jonah!'' He runs into his arms and Jonah picks him up in a hug. 

''I got you something.'' he reaches in his coat pulling out a small box. Jamie eagerly tears into the paper as soon as it's in his hands. He pulls the object from the box with wonder in his eyes. ''It's a shark tooth necklace, I found the tooth on the beach and put it on some chord.'' 

''Thank you!'' Jamie says putting it on. 

''Ann the eggs are burning.'' My dad mumbles taking me away from the door. 

''Shoot!'' I rush over to the pan sliding the eggs onto a plate. ''Well breakfast is ready.'' I gesture to the plates on the counter and everyone digs in. I eat standing up while Jamie sits between my dad and Jonah insisting that Jonah sit next to him. Jonah sits where Jamie commands not wanting to displease my little brother. When we finish Jonah turns and thanks my dad for letting him come over. 

''You're always welcome.'' My dad says. He's just being polite but I think a part of him means it too. 

''Hey Jonah can you help me bring my stuff upstairs. The neon light is heavier than I thought.'' 

''Sure, no problem.'' He grabs the sign that I'm sure he could have lifted with his pinky. But he grabs it with both hands pretending to strain with effort. I grab my posters and book following Jonah up the steps. He flitted into my room at the last second, when I walked in I saw that he was holding the sign with just the tip of his index finger. ''Geez this is heavy.'' He smirks laying it on my bed. 

''Show off.'' I mumble laying the rest of my things on the bed as well. I feel a rush of wind and when I look up Jonah glances at my chest. I look down to see a necklace. ''Did you just?'' 

He nods, ''Yep, its no ordinary necklace.'' He explains as I walk over to my mirror to examine it. ''It helps to mask your smell. It won't make you smell any different it just acts more as a shield to block your smell. I had to pay Flora big bucks for that. I didn't plan to get a job during this life but I might have to after that purchase.'' I gaze at the almost clear crystal that dangles from my neck with a silver chain. The mostly clear shade is interrupted by black swirls with hints of red on the outside, it's beautiful. 

''No offense but it looks like you bought it at a thrift shop.'' He walks up behind me in the mirror. I watch his reflection until he places his hands on my hips turning it around. 

''It'll make it easier to do this.'' he gingerly kisses me. 

''Thank goodness because I was scared that was going to be a one time thing.'' I say and he smiles. 

''I'd kiss you for the rest of your life if you'd let me.'' 

''I just might.'' I tease and he kisses me again.