Family Chapter 24

Ann, February 11th, 2:22 pm: ''Jonah's going to be here in a sec!'' I call to my dad who's downstairs. 

''Okay! Love you be safe!'' I told him we were going to visit some of his relatives that live in northern Santa Monica. I hear Jonah's bike out front and I run out the door. He hands me my helmet before I climb on. 

''All good?'' he asks over the noise of the engine. I nod into his back and he takes off. I keep my arms wrapped firmly around his waist. Honestly this seemed like a good idea two days ago but now that I'm actually going, I'm nervous as hell. 

At the speed Jonah went the ride didn't take long. We pull onto a slightly sandy path that's under the shade of trees. I start to see the sun again at the end of the path, it opens up to a small beach house that's on stilts. It's facing a small cove that surrounded by cliffs that make the shape of a C. He turns off the engine and helps me off. ''This place is beautiful.'' I say looking around. 

''Yeah, when I'm not at school this is where I am, well besides my human house so I can see you.'' He smiles and I blush. He takes my hand as we approach the house. When we reach the steps he sweeps me up bridal style before flitting up the steps. He sets me down and I catch my breath because the sudden wind had stolen it.

''More... warning... next time.'' I say in between breaths. 

He laughs, ''Sorry I'll get better at that promise.'' He opens the door for me and I walk inside. It opens into a small dining room and a kitchen. Everything is wood until you get to the couches on the other side of the kitchen which has a wood base with dark blue cushions. ''Homey.'' I comment. 

''So you're the girl he won't shut up about.'' A boy with jet black hair and pale skin comes down the steps that face the door. 

''Oh you've been talking about me I'm flattered.'' I say turning to Jonah. 

He laughs, ''This is Leo, Leo this is Ann.'' 

''Nice to eat I mean meet you.'' He gazes at the probably horrified look on my face then laughs. ''I'm only kidding.'' He flits over taking my hand in his. He raises it to his lips placing a kiss on the top of my hand. ''That's how we greeted beautiful women in my day, too bad we don't anymore.'' He shrugs. 

Three more boys walk in through the back door. Jonah addresses each of them though I have trouble keeping track of names and faces. That's four that means there's three more. ''The girls are upstairs.'' One with dimples in his cheeks says, George I think. 

''I'll take her up.'' He says and the other boys make their way to the kitchen. Jonah snags me a glass of water so fast I couldn't see it. ''We don't eat much here but I thought I'd at least get you a drink.'' I thank him before following him up the steps. He walks into a room where two girls are sitting on a bunk bed together. The last one must be Grayson. They're hovered over a laptop and they quickly shut it when we walk in. ''You act like we couldn't hear it from a mile away.'' 

''We know but still.'' One of the girls with dark brown pigtails looks at me. ''Don't worry it's just Youtube videos.'' 

I nod, ''No worries, I couldn't hear it if it makes you feel any better.'' The other girl with long blonde hair laughs. 

''I'm Kelly, this is Sam.'' The blonde says. 

''Ann.'' I address myself. ''It's nice to meet you.'' I smile. 

''So we heard Leo took an interest in you when you were downstairs.'' Sam smirks. 

''Whatever, Leo takes an interest in anything if it moves.'' Jonah says, the girls laugh and I feel a whoosh of wind. 

''Talking about people behind their backs is rude.'' Leo says from his position in the doorway. We laugh and he just frowns. ''I do not by the way.'' he says looking at me. 

I laugh harder, ''I have no place to judge, I fell in love with a vampire and I'm human.'' I didn't process my words until they were out of my mouth. I turn to Jonah who's just smiling. I haven't said out loud that I loved him yet. 

''Sounds like you have a death wish.'' Leo says and I look at Jonah who's glaring at him. 

''I want to show you around the cove.'' He motions for me to follow him out setting my empty glass on the counter before we go. 

We make it outside and I wait until we're on the beach to ask, ''Where's Grayson?'' 

''He didn't want to be here today.'' Is all he says. 

''What about Mr. Downs?'' I ask remembering the person who invited me here in the first place. 

''Dunno? Might be catching up on things at school.'' He shrugs. 

We walk for hours, he shows me how to skip rocks even though his go for miles and I'm lucky if mine skips twice. When it got dark he took me to the tidal pools which are lit up by glowing algae and corals. ''I should probably get home soon.'' I remind Jonah. 

''I know, I just wanted to show you the pools first.'' he sighs. ''Can I carry you back?'' 

I nod and climb onto his back. I suck in a breath and he takes off. We're back to the beach house in under a minute. He puts me down and I let out my breath. We start towards his bike but I see someone walking towards us from the house. ''I thought I had missed you!'' Mr. Downs says as he reaches us. 

''Almost, thank you so much for inviting me again. This place is beautiful.'' I say. 

''Of course I have one more thing to show you before you leave. It'll be quick.'' 

''Sure.'' I put the helmet I had grabbed back down on the bike and follow the older man.