Guest Chapter 23

Ann, February 9th, 7:37 am: It's Thursday and I can't wait for the week to be over mostly because Valentines day is next Tuesday and Jonah said he planned something. I'm sitting in first period bouncing my knee waiting for the bell to ring. Jonah's not at school today because he said he has to do something with the coven. 

Though Mr. Downs is still here. I remember confronting him about what he was, I had never been more terrified. But he had already guessed that I had known because of how much time I had been spending with Jonah. So when I asked him for the favor with Jonah's bike he was okay with it, he treats Jonah like a son and I'm glad he's the leader of their coven. 

The bell rang and I quickly gathered my things together. ''Ann can I speak with you? I'll write you a note for your next class.'' Mr. Downs asks. That means this is going to take a while lovely. 

''Sure.'' He waits for everyone to leave before starting the conversation. 

''I want to invite you to the ''coven house'' as we like to call it. I noticed Jonah gave you a shield pendant so I thought maybe you could get to know the other members of Jonah's family since you're safer now.'' He smiles at me. 

''That'd be amazing! But I don't want to intrude I know it's hard to be around humans.'' I whisper the last word. 

''Oh we'll be alright just don't expect dinner unless you're serving.'' He laughs at his joke and I join in even though the thought of that scares the living hell out of me.

''So when do you want me to come?'' 

''Saturday, everyone should be in if that's alright?'' 

''I think that'll work.'' I nod. 

''Splendid, just have Jonah give you a ride.'' He hands me a piece of paper, my note for the next class. He must've written it so fast I didn't see it. 

''Thank you again!'' I say waving the note as a goodbye. 

''Oh wait one last thing, I know it's kind of personal but do you love Jonah?'' 

I'm taken aback by his question pausing by the door. ''I- I think I do, did he say something?'' 

''No but, I can tell, of what you'll have to find out yourself but I just wanted to get your side of the story.'' He smiles before giving me a wave to leave. I take it, my hearts pounding and I know he can hear it. Ugh why'd he have to ask me that. While Jonah and I have just now become a little more public recently. How can I be sure he feels the same way I do? 

That night Jonah comes over to study for a test tomorrow. ''Okay this one's easy,'' I start looking at our U.S. history study guide. ''Which of these states were a part of the middle states? Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Florida or California?'' 

''Um...'' Jonah hesitates, ''Kentucky?'' he says it as a question rather than an answer but I'll take it. I nod. For the past hour I've been trying to figure out how to bring up Mr. Downs invitation but I guess I should just go right into it. 

I put the study guide aside and let out a sigh, ''Mr. Downs invited me to come to the ''coven house'' on Saturday.'' 

Jonah's face goes white, ''No.'' 

''What why? He said it'd be safe because I have my necklace.'' I grab at the crystal that's dangling from my neck. ''Plus you'll be there to protect me.'' 

''I may be one of the oldest and strongest there but I can't protect you from seven vampires.'' He whispers the last word so our voices don't carry through my open door to downstairs. Wish my dad would just let me shut it. ''You're not going, I can't risk anything happening to you I-'' He stops.

''I want to go, he said it'd be good for me to meet your family.'' I use his word. 

''They may be like brothers to me but my family died a long time ago. This ''family'' as he or you put isn't safe.'' 

''I mean the youngest one is Grayson right? The other's have way more control and I've already been around Grayson. He won't hurt me. Please Jonah.'' 

He sighs, ''I just don't know what I'd do if something happened to you. You're my everything.'' I look away remembering Mr. Downs last question. I quickly try and look back but nothing gets past Jonah. ''What?'' He asks. 

''What? Nothing.'' I say a little too quickly. 

''You're still a terrible liar, what is it?'' he demands. His brow is furrowed creating lines in his face that will never be more than temporary. 

I sigh, ''Mr. Downs asked me an odd question today after he invited me to visit.'' I pause and Jonah nods for me to continue, ''He asked me if I loved you. Why would he ask something like that?'' 

''I'm not sure.'' He thinks for a moment before turning back to me, ''And just out of curiosity your answer was?'' 

I blush, ''Not until I know yours.'' 

''Well the blush in your cheeks gives me the answer I needed.'' He takes in a breath before leaning in. Our lips connect and I can feel him smiling right before we part. ''I love you too.'' 

The way his lips form the words make me want to kiss him more so I do.