Beach Chapter 3

August 8th, 7:23: Monday first day of school in Santa Monica. My dad is off work today so I can take his car and he can see that Jamie gets on the bus. I get in the car and it stinks of cigarettes, first thing I'm buying is a car for myself. I can't skateboard there everyday though it's almost close enough. 

I blast the AC and roll down the windows hoping to get rid of the smell. My school isn't hard to find, it's got a bright blue roof and red brick that makes it stand out. I find a parking spot near the back and head for the front doors. An older woman is seated behind the front desk. "Hi, I'm here to pick up my schedule." I say.

"Name." She doesn't even look up.

"Ann Hill."

"Here you go, bells about to ring hun." As she finished her sentence the first bell goes off. Shit. I look at my schedule finding my first class. History lovely. My dad used to be a history fanatic until the divorce. Now all he cares about is booze and cigarettes.

I sigh before pushing the door open to my first period. I'm met by more than a dozen unfamiliar faces. The teacher stops explaining whatever he was explaining before I walked in. "You must be Ann." He says with a smile.

"Oh yeah." I stutter.

"You can have a seat in the back there." He points to the seat second from the corner. The corner seat is empty. He continues his speech about supplies we'll need and introductions.

The rest of the day goes on like that. I don't see Jonah at all that day. He's the only person I know so, he was the only one I knew to look for. Well I did see the girl who was at his house, his girlfriend most likely. 

I get home to find my dad passed out on the couch. I drape a blanket over him and go upstairs to grab a book. I need to relax. Since my garden isn't done the front porch will have to do. I sit on my front porch steps and unfold my book. I let my tank top straps hang loose off my shoulders so I can get an even tan.

I was reading my book when I see cars start to pass my house. I look up to see them all pulling into Jonah's driveway. What the hell? All the people that get out are our age. That's when I see him. He's taking boxes of beer from another guy and ushering him inside. Are they seriously having a party on the first day of school. I groan and go inside.

Jamie let's himself in when the bus drops him off and he tells me about his day. That's when the music started. "What's that?" He asks.

"Guess our neighbors like their music loud." I shrug. I'm scared to go back in my room and see something I don't want to through my window. God I need to get curtains. I'll worry about that this weekend. I go back into my room keeping my eyes on the floor. 

I sigh and put on my headphones. I blast my music to drown out the noise of theirs. I try to scroll through my Instagram but it's full of pictures of people from South Carolina.

I hop off my bed and grab my too long neglected skateboard. I tell Jamie I'm leaving and take off down the sidewalk in the opposite direction of Jonah's house. I never learned any tricks but it's still a more fun way to get around. Before I know where I am, I find myself at the pier. It's not super packed tonight because it's a Monday.

When I reach a beach I take off my shoes and carry them along with my skateboard. My music is still playing in my ears so I shut it off so I can hear the waves. I lay my things down a few feet behind me and wade out into the water. The water is warm and comes up to just below my knees.

My mom would always take me to the beach. My dad had the time but never really liked to. My mom and I would hunt for shells during the day and for crabs at night. The beach was always my happy place and I want to keep it that way even if thinking of my mom makes me sad.

My thoughts are interrupted by a voice behind me. "What're you doing out here all alone beautiful?" I turn around to see the blond guy from the grocery store the other day.

"I was just enjoying the night, my dad's on the way." I quickly lie.

"How long until he gets here? Cause I've got time to kill." He grins when he finishes his sentence.

"Another minute, he's grabbing my brother." I've always been a terrible liar and by the look on his face I can tell nothing has changed.

"Hey now don't scare the poor girl." Another boy walks up behind him with a girl on his arm. "He's just looking for some company, hates to third wheel ya know?"

I just nod. What do I do? My phone is next to them in the sand with my other things. I'm never this unprepared what the hell was I thinking?

"Hey guys sorry I'm late, couldn't get away, what're you having?" The crowd parts and I see Jonah running up the beach. His eyes go wide when he sees me. I feel like I should be relieved to see a familiar face but I don't, something's off. "No."

"No?" The blond boy asks. "She's beautiful, just your type." He elbows Jonah. 

"I said no, tonight isn't about me anyways. I'll join you guys later. Ann follow me." He walks forward but the guys stop him. "Get your hands off of me."

"How about I say it for once? No." The blond boy grins and the other one joins him. "Harry isn't here to help you now. I want to be in charge for once you stuck up." They shove him into the sand.

"That was a mistake." Jonah growls. Did he just growl? What the hell? The boys start to fight and I take his as my cue to leave. I wade out of the water leaving my things. I bolt, my feet slipping on the sand.

"Rebecca get her!" I hear one of the boys yell. I pick up speed to get away but I feel hands around my waist. I'm slammed to the ground. My ears are ringing where my head hit the sand.

The girl drags me by my ankles. The last thing I see is Jonah's concerned face.