Chapter 9

"How was the meeting?" I ask Jeremy. Like everyone else, he is undoubtedly more relaxed this afternoon. The office doesn't feel the same.

"With the investors?" He raises his head from a report, looking at me.

"Yes".

"I haven't attended it. It seems it went well", he explains. And I need a more complete response. I'm concerned about it. Andrew was so stressed yesterday. And now he is nowhere to be found.

"Mr. Wright told me we will be sharing some activities."

I study Jeremy while he continues. "He requests you to search for other low carbon options to increase energy efficiency. I will still supervise your work, but he will as well. I should focus on another activity. So, we will be sharing the supervision".

"Mr. Wright?" I ask worried I'm going to work with Andrew's father. "Which one?"

"The son. Andrew", he laughs when I let out a sigh of relief. Well, that won't be easy either.

"You will start on it next week. I will explain everything today and tomorrow".

We work on it until Friday afternoon and I don't see Andrew before the weekend arrives.

"Good evening", I cheer Char Friday night.

"Hey", he answers from the kitchen. "How was your day?"

"Good. And yours?"

"It was alright", he replies.

I have dinner with Char, and Liam and the two are silent the entire evening. Char doesn't stop checking his phone and Liam is sulking.

"Ok, what's going on?"

"Huh?" Char asks while chewing, his eyes still on his phone. Liam doesn't raise his head. They are pissing me off.

"What's going on with you?" I ask louder.

"Nothing Kels, just waiting for a message from work".

"Liam?"

"I'm good, all good", he replies. Yet I know he is not. He hasn't looked at me or give a smile. He is not himself and it has been a while now.

I frown at their mood. Although I don't insist, if they don't want to talk, we won't talk. I wash the dishes after we ate and leave for my apartment.

Char and I go to my parents Saturday morning. I will deliver them the news about France in person. We have dinner at the same Italian restaurant they use to go to every Saturday. They still order the same dishes, only they add a bottle of champagne to celebrate. The only unusual item on our table in our evening.

On Sunday Char must be at home before midday, so we leave earlier. He rushes to his apartment to prepare himself for a lunch meeting, and I suspect it is a date. He seems too excited about it. Anxiously hitting his fingers on the steering wheel on our way back.

I watch him fighting with his keys while I'm opening my door. He is definitely not going to a business meeting on a Sunday as he declared. He runs inside his apartment once his door is finally open and I enter mine. I'm surprised, finding a male body on my couch.

If the person wasn't snoring I would suspect he is dead. He is not moving, on his back in an uncanny position. And while I'm approaching him, I'm questioning how he got inside.

I gasp when I recognize that it's Liam, deep in sleep and reeking of alcohol.

"Hey", I'm startled by Dani's whispers on my back.

"Hi", I glance between her and Liam. She signs for me to go with her to her room.

"What is he doing here?"