Chapter 20

I knock for the fifth time on the dark wooden door.

I came as fast as I could after reading his message, only to be received by his closed door and no response.

Chewing my lip I knock once again before giving up.

His door suddenly opens exposing an almost naked Andrew. He's wearing only a towel around his waist. His hair is a dripping mess and his body is wet. For a minute, I forget that we have more important issues than me wanting to help him dry off. Something is surely wrong when I have something else in my head instead of wanting to be the towel wrapped around his waist.

He opens the door further allowing me to go inside. It's when I take a closer look at him that my dirty thoughts are cut short.

He's serious. No smiles or flirtatious glances. Only a nod.

He has a similar face to when we're in business presentations. Focus on a matter, full of expectations and concern.

I sit on the couch and he excuses himself to get dressed.

His living room is quite a mess. A suitcase is in the corner close to the entry, and files are on the coffee table.

He was traveling. Maybe Dani was right and he was on a business trip after all. Alone, hopefully.

My curious self takes one of the papers to read it while I wait for him. I read it attentively about a college I've never hear about.

"Kelsey?"

"Yeah", I respond, raising my eyes from the paper and finding Andrew on the armchair. The one that's farther away from where I am. The distance he keeps between us alarms me.

I dropped the paper on the table to watch him nervously playing with his fingers.

"My father is sick", he starts, and my jaw drops.

"He has a heart disease and will need surgery".

"Oh, I'm sorry".

He nods before continuing.

"He won't be able to work anymore. Which means I'll have to take his position in the company".

I stare at him, he's facing the coffee table in front of him. He takes a deep breath before continuing.

"I'm going back to London Kelsey". He tells me and the air escapes my lungs.

"Oh-", it's all I can say.

He takes some of the papers on the coffee table. He has his bottom lip between his teeth when he's rearranging them.

"You know, there are good colleges in England. Some offer studies in the energy domain", he tells me, and I don't think it was possible but the remaining air I had inside my lungs leaves me too.

I'm there, staring at him, listening to what he has to say before I literally freak out.

Before I misunderstand his words and take decisions I shouldn't. But it's getting harder and harder to control my heart pace.

"Here", he gives me some of the papers. Like the one I took from the table before, each one is about a college and the masters they offer. Reading it is the most terrifying feeling I've ever had. Cold runs into my spine when I look agape at it.

"What?" I ask, still confused. The papers in my hand are trembling. Some have fallen on the floor. The letters are shaking too, out of focus, impossible to read.

"Noah mentioned you wanted to study abroad, so I thought why not in London, right?" He tells me, scratching the back of his head and the only action I'm capable of is gasping.