Chapter 25

Antoine guides me inside the restaurant with his hand on the small of my back. The restaurant is lovely, but his hand doesn't seem to belong where it is.

Someone takes our coats into the entry and I conveniently step away from his hold. It's unnatural, in my head he's still my annoying friend who corrects my French spelling mistakes.

The waiter leads us to our table at the end of the restaurant, it's quite isolated from the others, providing us some privacy. I blush with a wave of uneasiness, glancing at Antoine. He's smiling with a sparkle in his eyes. I swallow my discomfort because I know he's excited to be here. He has been waiting for it, he mentioned this restaurant a few times to me.

I give the waiter a polite and nervous smile when he moves the chair for me to sit.

I've been in his presence so many times before. In dinners, lunches, or simply going out. It was always easy and joyful. I don't understand why I'm so nervous right now. So uncomfortable.

I adjust myself on the chair and follow him, opening the menu. The problem with fancy restaurants in France is I don't understand a word on the menu. They use fancy expressions, like 'zucchini carpaccio'. Just to convince you it's something fancy and special. But in fact, it's a very small quantity of crude zucchini, cut into thin strips and placed on a fancy plate. With a fancy sauce. For a very expensive price.

Is confusing, and I usually end up with something bizarre and uneatable on my plate. As raw meat. So, when I find 'poulet' on it I finish my research. Chicken is the safest option.

Antoine is already glimpsing at me and I regret closing the menu. We talk to each other every day, and right now I can't think of one subject for us to discuss.

"Would you like some wine?" He opens the wine menu and I place a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Sure."

He asks my preference and then orders a bottle.

My eyes wander around the room. It's a small place but cozy. And for an odd reason, I pay special attention to the door.

I wish it was because the door is beautiful. It's huge, all in glass decorated with golden leaves all around. But that's not the reason.

I spot a guy on the phone outside, and he has tawny hair, exactly like him.

"Do you like it?" I'm startled by his question.

"Yeah, is very nice," I respond. My eyes only meet his for a second and then they are back to the door.

I return my attention to Antoine, smiling and fidging with the napkin on my lap. We toast and drink the wine.

I fail to understand what my problem is. I'm in a very nice restaurant with an amazing guy. He's handsome and treats me well. For an unknown reason he's interested in me, and I show more interest in the surroundings than him.

I don't miss how many times my eyes wander at the door. They are too many to go unnoticed.

My attention is often on the guy, who is still outside. He seems to have the same height as Andrew. And it only increases my eagerness for him to come inside.

After the first glass of wine, the date becomes easier. We chat about places to visit in Europe, about our classes and he asks a few questions about my family.

On the second glass, we are making jokes. Antoine confesses how awful it is to be the middle child. He goes into detail about his relationship with his two brothers. He complains about it, yet it's obvious he loves and misses them.