Chapter 10

"Kelsey, are you okay?" The same female voice asks once again. I've heard that voice before, but I can't recognize it.

I flush the toilet before leaving it. It was out of habit or pretense, I haven't really used the toilet.

There is no need to postpone facing the person any longer.

"Hi... Gia," I greet Andrew's secretary, hoping I've got her name right. I have already found myself in a disgraceful condition, there is no need to add any other unfortunate act to it.

"I just got wonderful news". I replied seeking to justify my so excited 'yes' she's heard before.

When I was...hmm...optimizing the use of the bathroom.

"What is the news, honey?" She is a nice old lady, but she is curious. I didn't expect a question from her. I expected she would drop the subject because it might be personal.

"Mmm...I-" I'm blabbing, pushing my brain to come with an excuse.

"My brother will be a father", I eventually blurted, surprised by my response.

I couldn't think about anything else. My bad habit of talking without thinking when I'm nervous has reached a new level. It is going too far.

Well, it could be worst. At least I didn't make it up that I'm pregnant. It would be hard to hide it after a while.

My fingers are on my temples, while I try to find an escape from my lie.

"I still have the baby magazines from when my granddaughter was born. Come on, I'll give it to you. You can give it to your brother." She invites me and I give her a small smile. She is excited about it, leaving the bathroom and leading us to her desk.

I glance around, afraid someone will hear us and my lie will spread around the office. I'm a terrible liar, she must be naive to believe me. I bet my face gives me away.

"You'll find it such a wonderful experience, dear," she assures me as soon as we got to her desk. Showing me some magazines about babies. She has several of them.

"What is a wonderful experience?" Andrew interrupts our conversation, leaving me alarmed.

"Being an aunt, her brother will be a father", she replies smiling. And I didn't think my lie would be caught anytime soon. Not so soon, like right now.

My decisions are being very awkward today. After deciding to touch me in the bathroom at work. I'm not surprised I couldn't find a better excuse when Gia heard me.

I'm so stupid. Today proved to me how stupid I can be.

"Charles?" He asks unbelieving. I swallow hard. I thought my lie would last more than an hour.

"Do you know her brother?" I sense my cheeks turning red, my mind is racing to find a plan to get out of here.

"Yes, he's a good friend of mine," Andrew replies watching me closely. I bite my lip nervously looking around. Clear evidence of a lie, but I can't help it.

"You must be thrilled too. That's wonderful news", she is so naive. And I'm so busted.

"So thrilled." He says inspecting me. "Come, Kelsey. I would like to know more about this exciting news". He signals to his office then grabs the magazines from Gia's desk. He opens a magazine, looking at it as he starts walking.

I follow him to his office, walking as slowly as possible. Postponing the unveil of my lie. I lack an excuse to get out of this situation.

This is making me nervous, biting my nails when I enter his office.