Hurting

Chapter Ten.

The walk home felt darker than it normally would. 

The skies dark grey, light sprinkles of rain hitting his every step. It's like the universe hates him. It was colder. 

Zayn's mind wandered to Mercury. 

Was she okay? 

Was she safe? 

Cold? 

Crying? 

Did she really believe that he thought such cruel things about her? 

That's what him the most; the fact that she ran off before he could explain that everything he said was pure rage, and that wasn't his mindset of her at all.

She was the best thing that's ever happened to him. She was beautiful, witty, boisterous, and most of all very selfless. 

In the time he's come to know her, he came to find out that everything she does is to make other people happy. No matter how much it hurts herself. Exactly like Zayn. 

They were two people who would let everyone walk over them just to make that person happy.

Instead of going home, Zayn made his way a few houses down to his best friends house. There was no way he could be alone tonight. 

Banging on the door, Zayn had silent tears running down his face. That's how Liam opened the door, a sad, broken, and lost Zayn standing before him.

Without asking questions, Liam pulled Zayn into a huge hug.

In the eight years he's known the boy, he knew not to pasture the problem out of him. Zayn would open up after a while.

"She left. I ruined it!"

"Who left, Zayn. What happened?"

"M-Mercury, I said some really mean things to her and she walked off without giving me the chance to explain."

Liam's heart broke for the boy. He saw how much this girl had a positive affect on Zayn.

So he pulled the both of them out of the rain and draped a towel over Zayn's shoulders before they both sat on the couch.

"What did you say? What happened?"

"I asked her out. I stupidly asked her out and she said no and then I flipped out on her, ruining the best thing I've had going for me besides you."

"She said no? I thought you said she liked you?"

"I thought she did. Mate, I really thought she felt the same. She kept saying "You'll understand soon." Liam what does that mean?"

"I don't know? You said her father was abusive, yeah? Maybe he's like preventing her from doing things. Or maybe she's scared to get close to you because of him. She probably just doesn't want to see him hurt you."

Do you ever stop to think that I keep things from you to prevent hurting you?

That's when it clicked. The slight fear in her eyes when he asked her on a date. The 'you'll understand' bullshit. Everything was starting to make sense.

He royally fucked things up. She wasn't saying no to hurt him, she was saying no so neither of them got hurt. 

His heart fell to his stomach, how was he going to fix this?