Moonlit Halo

Chapter Sixteen.

"You weren't there."

"I was there, I was off on the side, but I was there. Second place Zayn, I'm so fucking proud of you!"

"It's all because of you. I wasn't lying when I said you were my inspiration Mercury."

The two made their way back to the rock and sat down.

"Have you seen the painting?"

"No, it was facing away from me, unfortunately."

"Close your eyes."

Doing as she was told, Mercury put her hands over her eyes. Slowly opening her fingers to try and peek through, but Zayn caught on, holding his hand over hers as he tore the fabric away from the canvas. 

His hoodie was still on her body which made him smile like an idiot, he loved seeing her in his clothes. It was sight he could easily get used to.

"Okay on the count of three, open your eyes."

"But your hands are over mine."

"Hush, okay ready? Three.."

Mercury smiled widely just waiting for the moment she can finally open her eyes. Though, Zayn takes his good old time counting down.

"Two.."

"Zayn, this is one of those time where I am waiting for the future to happen. Hurry up, please."

"Okay, one. Open your eyes."

Zayn gripps ahold of her hand and moved it away from her eyes where the painting now sat exposed, the canvas was a little bit bigger so in order to see him along with his painting, he had to put it off to the side of his lap. 

He heard a small gasp leave the small of her opened mouth as her eyes stare at herself in adoration.

The colors he used captures her features perfectly. 

The soft green in her eyes just the right shade. 

The different hues of red in her hair astoundingly sat beautifully.

Tears pricked the brim of her eyes in awe, no one had ever done this for her. 

Zayn's hand, still holding her own, gripped a little tighter as if waiting for her to say something. 

Mercury looked into his eyes as a small tear fell from her eye, before he had the chance to think about what happens next, she lunged and brought him into a really tight hug. Repeating thank you over and over again as she lightly cried into his shoulder. 

Zayn set the canvas down on the rock and held on to her just as tight.

"Mercury, ever since I met you, something brought me in. I don't know if it was the gentle look in your eyes or if it was the moonlit halo that sat wonderfully above your head the first day, but I knew you wouldn't be like anyone I've ever known."

Mercury gripped tighter as her eyes squeezed shut, letting him know she's listening to ever word he's saying. Urging him to finish.

"You've helped me in ways one could only imagine. I was so lost before you, having met you, I've found who I really am. I'm happy. I am actually really fucking happy now and that's because of you. 

Thank you. 

Thank you for being there. 

Thank you for not being shy and asking to sit down with me. 

Thank you for not giving up on me when I messed up.

 And thank you for showing me what love feels like. I love you so much."

Pulling away, Zayn and Mercury look into each others eyes. Her eyes flick between his before slowly looking down at his lips. She knew it was wrong but it felt right. 

Mercury finally looked back into his eyes before slowly leaning in. Zayn caught on quick and so did his heart. He leaned in until he felt her nose nudge his.

That's when he took the final step and let his lips lock with hers. He felt her relax into the kiss, as did he. It's everything he'd hoped it would be and more.

Her lips were soft, cold, but soft.

His hand that wasn't still holding hers came to hold her cheek. 

She was the first to break away for a breathe of air, but she didn't go far, she just rested her forehead on his looking into his eyes.

"I guess my job here is done."

"What? Wait, did Liam put you up to this?!"

Zayn backed away from her and let her hand go. She gave him a very confused look but still had that soft smile of hers plastered on her face.

"No, Zayn. Liam didn't put me up to this. You did."