Monstrous People

Chapter Twelve.

Six words. 

She spoke six words before turning her back and started walking away into the night again. 

This time though, Zayn followed her. He wanted to make it right. 

He's waited five excruciating long days to see her and he wasn't about to let her walk away again. He wasn't about to let her slip through his fingers, again.

"Mercury! Slow down, hold up. Would you wait, please?"

Mercury kept walking without even a glance back.

"Merc, where were you? I've been coming here everyday to make up with you and you never showed."

"I was busy."

"Don't be like that. Mercury seriously, stop and fucking listen to me!"

Finally catching up with her, Zayn grabbed ahold of her shoulders, which he took notice were ice cold. 

Yet again, she had this white dress on and the days were getting colder.

"Come to call me a bitch again, Zayn? Or maybe now it's drama queen? You know? Cause I never showed up to talk to you."

"I didn't mean it. Any of it. Everything I said to you was a complete lie. Well besides the fact that I have this urging feeling for you. 

Mercury, you aren't like all of the other girls, you never once asked for anything from me. You've pushed me to be a better person, and I am! Baby, I am a better person. 

I am better because I want to be the perfect guy, for you. You are my inspiration. You are my motivation. Mercury, you are my person. 

And if you are scared that your dad is going to find us and hurt us, darling, I will never let that man hurt you. Ever again. I promise."

Mercury took in all Zayn had to say. Truth is, she was there. Everyday, she was there. She sat and watched as he beat himself over him losing her. Though, he never lost her. She was just scared. Zayn had never risen his voice at her, not to mention the fact that he claimed she was using him.

"I never meant to hurt you, Merc. I never meant to scream in your face. I was just upset. Please, please don't walk away again. I can't lose you again. Please."

"My father, he was a cruel and heartless man. My ex, he was a cruel and heartless man. Do you remember the story of Saylor? How her boyfriend was abusive and one day just snapped?"

With a nod to his head and confusion written on his face, Mercury continues;

"I was her. I was with this guy who would cowardly hit me. Do you remember when you asked about the scars all over my arms? They weren't just because of the lowlife I call a father.

 You are nothing like them, and I am so glad for that. But you have to understand when I say I can't go out with you. 

There's more to the story than just monstrous people in my life. And that's why I say you'll understand soon. You just have to wait it out. But, Zayn?"

"Yeah?"

"Don't fall in love with me."

"What if I already have?"