Chapter 23. Of Pain.

Erzebeth was away dealing with an insurgence on the vassal states to the north. There has been a rise in two completely opposite rebellion movements as of late, one demanding our country to stop interfering with theirs entirely, while the other wanted us to officially annex them as part of our territory and give their people citizenship.

—This is too much of a coincidence. There must be someone pulling the strings to destabilize us —I had told her before she left.

—I agree, but we have no idea of who it might be. And there were problems that they exploited to make both rebellious groups. We might have grown too complacent of the state of our vassal states.

—They came to us for protection and relief; we have given them more than enough. We can't stretch our army further or starve our own citizens.

She sighed.

—I'll find a solution, don't worry. Take care of the kids and the capital while I'm gone.

—You know you can trust me for that.

—Also, you are going to meet up with that mysterious oracle while I'm gone, aren't you? —she said with a sly smile.

I couldn't keep any secret from her, and she had learned from my business with that witch almost from the start. I have called her several times over the past five years to consult on the predictions obtained from the astral observatory, and as much as I hated to admit it, her record was almost perfect.

Fortunately, Erzebeth hasn't discovered the identity of the "oracle", as she has called the witch. If she knew her "best friend" also was able to see into the future, the hold that witch would have over her would increase a lot. It wouldn't surprise me if she made her into the "royal advisor" or a position of similar power. With the events predicted recently on the new astral observatory, that was something I couldn't allow to happen.

But to be honest, she could have easily figured it out if she really wanted it. The only reason why she hadn't investigated more into the topic was because I asked her to not do it. And she trusted me to have reasons to do so. I needed to reciprocate that by making sure that the future we had peeked into didn't come to pass.

—Your Majesty, Lady Dragonroot has arrived —A guard said, as he came through the entrance of the office I was borrowing, waking me up from my introspection.

I thanked him and followed him to the main gardens, just next to the entrance of the academy.

—Father! —I heard my kids yell as soon as I got out of the building, and they ran towards me, followed by another small figure.

Gaius was the more outgoing of the two, and had an ease to get along with other kids and even adults. He was able to follow some of our conversations and would ask me questions about what he didn't understand later on. He also had an artistic streak, we have gotten him teachers from all over the region and they all were marveled by his talent and dedication.

Julius was more reserved and timid, but by no means less perceptive. He had shown a talent in magic and combat that I had never seen before in anyone of his age. Everything he was able to observe, he was able to replicate... given enough time. I was very proud of both of them.

—Uncle! —a little girl shouted while jumping towards me.

I barely managed to catch her, but I still got to spin her a few times in the air before letting her back on the ground. I hated to admit, but considering how quickly she was growing, in just a few years I wouldn't be able to do that anymore.

That small bundle of mischief was my kid's best friend... and the daughter of the witch, Violett Dragonroot. It was really hard for me to understand how they could be related at all. I had seen her playing with Gaius and Julius practically since they were toddlers, so I knew very well she didn't have any ulterior motive, unlike her mother.