Chapter 32. Only know in the moment.

(From Carmila:)

I turned down the radio's volume, served a cup of tea to the little girl, another cup for me, and then I sat next to her. Thinking about it, that might have been the first time she had asked anyone but her mother for help.

—Now, can you tell me why you are worried about Rosanne?

Violett furrowed her eyebrows a little.

—She has been really busy recently...

—Yes, I think she received a great task from his Majesty when they met at the Academy.

She hasn't told us anything, but it was pretty clear. She has focused her attention on researching... something, leaving behind her usual hobbies and neglecting some of her duties. She was also staying up until very late, and even playing less with her daughter.

—Do you miss passing time with your mother? —I asked.

Violett shook her head, but then paused for a moment.

—A little, but I understand. What she is doing is important, and she promised it was only temporary. But she is working too hard, something bad might happen if things keep up like this.

—Mmm, well, it is true that your mother's health has never been her forte.

—Her health? —Violett asked, sounding a bit confused.

Her vocabulary and eloquence was so advanced, that I forgot for a moment I was talking with a five year old girl.

—Don't worry about it. I'll talk with her, and I'll make her take a rest, even if I have to force her.

She drew a slight smile on her face.

—Thank you, Carmila.

The little girl finished her tea and walked out of the room, waving me goodbye before walking into the hallway to her and her mother's room. I ponder for a moment how I should proceed. I considered asking Maxwell his opinion. He also seemed to be involved in whatever they were working on, but he was usually able to keep an unbiased perspective.

I noticed that my cup of tea was empty, and I still had work to finish before I went to sleep, so I got up to pour myself another one. I fell back to the chair immediately, with my head spinning for a few seconds.

—Perhaps I am also working too hard —I said, and decided to leave the remaining work for the next day.

I woke up the next day feeling more rested, so I got up to do my usual activities and duties. I was usually one of the first to wake up in the whole house, aside from Gabby. But that morning I decided to take a peek into Rosanne's room. If I hadn't heard the worries of the young lady, I might not even have considered doing it. But my suspicions were correct, Rosanne was already awake. Violett and Eve were sleeping to her right side, and to the left there was a pile of books and papers.

—Ah, Carmila, G-good morning —she murmured when she noticed me.

—Good morning, Madame —I replied in the same hushed tone—, did you have a good night sleeping?

She froze for an instant.

—Y-yeah, I just woke up a bit early.

I sighed. The bags under her eyes told me she had not slept too much, if at all. Perhaps the worries of the young lady were even more justified than I had thought.

—Madame, we'll have a very serious conversation after you have had breakfast.

For a moment, she looked like a scared puppy.